New York, New York
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) is a nonprofit organization that starts and manages outstanding urban charter public schools that close the achievement gap and prepares low-income students to graduate from college. We have achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones. Our schools are among the highest-performing urban schools in their cities and states. We proudly work for the 18,000 students in our 53 schools across three states in six cities, and are passionately committed to their success!
About the role
The Payroll Manager helps the Accounting team deliver on its goals by leading Uncommon’s organization-wide payroll process. This hands-on and seasoned payroll professional drives day-to-day processes forward, in accordance with high performance standards and while delivering exceptional customer service. He or she will lead the development of new processes and improvements to existing business procedures to support our goal of delivering services with operational excellence to all regions. The Payroll Manager reports to the Controller (until position is filled to the Director of Accounting) with a dotted line to the Senior Director of Human Resources.
- Payroll operationsAssess the current state of payroll operations and recommend an optimal structure with a focus on process improvement and efficiency. Manage and guarantee weekly disbursement of multi-state payroll, including garnishments, benefits and taxes to 2,500 employees consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws.
- Ensure the processing of new hires, temporary workers, transfers, promotions and terminations is accurate and timely.
- Serve as the primary day-to-day interface with ADP including:
- On all matters relating to current and planned operation – including serving as the point of contact with Human Resources on ADP workforce interface and processes as it relates to payroll.
- Maintaining ADP systems interface and own the preparation of all payroll related reports including earnings, taxes, deductions, leaves, disability, nontaxable wages and government and regulatory filings. Serve as a key member of the implementation of electronic payroll.
- Work closely with HR to ensure systems are set-up and updated to most effectively manage employee data that affects payroll and benefits processes.
- Drive the development and/or updating of internal payroll policies and procedures to ensure they align with best practices and regulations.
- Communicate pertinent process changes to both senior accounting, finance and human resources staff.
- Act as the main point of contract for payroll audits, agency and employee inquiries and troubleshooting;
- Serve as the primary day-to-day contract with Uncommon’s independent auditor for 403(b) activities
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) required in Finance/Accounting (required)
- 5+ years of progressive experience in Payroll/Accounting/HR preferred
- Multi-state payroll processing experience required
- ADP Workforce Payroll experience required
- Knowledge of federal and state (NY, NJ, and/or MA) regulations related to administration of HR operations & data systems
- Skills and Experience
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills; ability to prioritize and demonstrate an appropriate sense of urgency
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and communication skills
- Strong customer-orientation
- History of successfully implementing/integrating systems, policies and protocols
- Strong computer and analytical skills, including high proficiency with Excel
- Hands-on, team player who possesses a can-do attitude
- Attention to detail, organized, and thorough with a desire for continuous improvement
- Demonstrated ability to work and lead project teams
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply on our website: https://uncommonschools.secure.force.com/careers/ts2__JobDetails?jobId=a0x0G00001Rg6wPQAR&tSource=