Details: Depending on experience and skills
8414 Greenwood Avenue North
WHAT WE ARE SEEKING
We are looking for an experienced, goal-oriented Development Director who can spearhead
development efforts for the continual growth and sustainability of The Bureau of Fearless Ideas
(BFI). This person is inspired by the mission and understands what makes our organization
This person has succeeded at raising money and has the experience and skills to think
strategically, build and strengthen donor relations, solve problems, and achieve fundraising goals.
Equally important, this person must relish working with and fit into our eclectic team of creative,
hardworking, fun-loving world improvers.
ABOUT THE GREATER SEATTLE BUREAU OF FEARLESS IDEAS
The Greater Seattle Bureau of Fearless Ideas (BFI) believes that the power of words, well-written
and well-spoken, can open doors to important opportunities. Our tutoring, writing, and publishing
programs prepare young people, ages 6 to 18, for a successful future by developing strong
writing skills, championing diverse communication styles, and motivating young people to share
their stories. All programs are free and open to families from any socio-economic background.
WHO YOU ARE
The Development Director must share our passion for the work we do, our care and concern for
children, and our belief that strong writing and communication skills are important to everyone.
At the same time, however, this person should not take him or herself too seriously. Our staff is
characterized by an irreverent humor, with errant creative forces appearing when we least expect
them. We are looking for someone who is:
• Successful at nonprofit fund development and has at least three to five years of development
and fundraising experience.
• Skilled at thinking both strategically and creatively in developing fundraising plans and
achieving stated goals.
• Experienced at cultivating potential donors and procuring major gifts of $10,000-25,000 or
• Experiences in implementing donor centered fundraising strategies.
• Experienced at overseeing grant applications and managing reporting requirements for grant
• Experienced working with Board of Directors and executive leadership.
• Knowledgeable about budgets and other financial documents.
• Knowledgeable about best practices in philanthropy.
• Able to thrive in a noisy, vibrant environment where multitasking is the norm.
• In possession of strong writing and presentation skills.
Reports to the Executive Director
• Devise a fund development infrastructure that includes internal controls for meeting
aggressive annual and long-term fundraising goals.
• Provide support to the Board of Directors through coaching and solicitation resources.
• Work closely with the Executive Director in developing relationships with foundations and
other funding sources.
• Serve as a member of the BFI leadership team.
• Oversee the development and execution of all fundraising events, including an annual dinner.
• Manage our donor and grant-tracking databases.
• Develop and manage fundraising communications, including engagement/online/mail
appeals, gift processing, and donor acknowledgements.
• Oversee the maintenance of donor-specific content on our website and social media
• Help ensure that all outgoing communication conforms to the BFI style, including our voice
and the look and feel of our visual identity.
• Provide Executive Director and board of directors with timely reports and updates as
The job also includes health and dental insurance, flexible work hours, and 7 - 9 weeks of paid time off.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume, along with a one-page cover letter and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email’s subject line should read “Development Director.” We are accepting applications through November 16th, 2018. Please no phone calls.