Russian Speaking Paralegal
Location: New York City
Immigration Equality is a national organization that works to end discrimination in U.S. immigration law, and to reduce the negative impact of that law on the lives of people living with HIV and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) people. We also directly represent hundreds of immigrants each year who have fled from persecution in order to seek asylum in the U.S. Through education, outreach, advocacy, and the maintenance of a nationwide network of resources, we provide information and support to advocates, attorneys, politicians, and impacted individuals.
Immigration Equality is seeking an enthusiastic paralegal to provide administrative support to our legal staff in New York City. Immigration Equality is a national organization fighting for equal immigration rights for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and HIV-positive (LGBT/H) community. Immigration Equality provides direct legal services to LGBT and HIV positive asylum-seekers, and fights for change in U.S. immigration law. Through education, outreach, advocacy, and the maintenance of a nationwide network of resources, we provide information and support to advocates, attorneys, politicians and those who are threatened by persecution or the discriminatory impact of the law.
· Answer Immigration Equality’s telephone and respond to requests for legal assistance
· Respond to calls/letters from detained immigrants
· Maintain our client database and update our dockets
· Copy and file, gather evidence, research and index country conditions materials, etc.
· Organize and scan existing country conditions materials, sample briefs, and other materials which support asylum applications (and/or supervise volunteers on this project)
· File papers with immigration court/DHS
· Translate evidence and other documents into English (and/or supervise
volunteers on this project)
· Give attorney referrals in appropriate cases
· Assist clients to access social services when necessary
· Schedule intakes for legal staff; assist with new client intakes
· Translate during in-person and/or phone interviews
· Provide general legal administrative support
· Represent Immigration Equality at community events and outreach efforts
· Assist staff attorneys in matching clients with pro bono counsel
· Must have an undergraduate or advanced degree
· Must be organized and detail oriented (this position presents an excellent opportunity for an individual who is considering law school)
· Must multitask well
· Must have a sincere commitment and interest in advocating for equality for LGBT/HIV-positive people under U.S. immigration law
Russian fluency is required (spoken; written and reading comprehension)
Salary and Benefits: Salary 45,000 per year. Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, and employee retirement plan.
Immigration Equality greatly values diversity: immigrants, transgender individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Immigration Equality is a progressive organization committed to an open-plan office. Applicants must demonstrate the ability to collaborate within a diverse and inclusive environment.
Immigration Equality is a mission-driven organization full of smart, dedicated people. You must be excellent at what you do to work here. If you want to work at the cutting edge of the two most potent civil rights issues of our time, LGBTQ and immigrant rights, and do it with talented colleagues in a fast-paced, nimble organization that seeks to make a real difference in the lives of marginalized people, this is the place for you.
To apply: Submit a detailed cover letter and resume with Paralegal in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHONE CALLS
Salary 45,000 per year. Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, and employee retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
· Fluency in Russian required, additional skills in Spanish or French a plus but not required
Minimum Education Required