Details: Compensation, including benefits, is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
District of Columbia
Compass, an innovative nonprofit that connects the business community with local nonprofits in Washington, DC, Philadelphia and Chicago, seeks a strong financial manager and strategic thinker as Director of Finance and Administration to take a leadership role in achieving Compass’ goals for future growth.
Compass’ mission is to inspire business professionals to engage with their local nonprofits to transform communities. Compass recruits professionals from top tier companies, consulting firms and law firms, as well as MBA alumni from top business schools, to volunteer in the nonprofit sector through strategic consulting projects and nonprofit board placements. Compass engages over 500 professionals each year with approximately 100 nonprofits across Washington DC, Philadelphia and Chicago.
Led by President, Suzanne Laporte, and championed by a high-profile, engaged Board of Directors, Compass is well-positioned to continue its efforts to bolster the communities it serves. The Compass headquarters in DC, where this position is based, is a friendly, warm and intellectual environment with an impressive and accomplished group of staff members.
The Director of Finance and Administration position is an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to be a strategic thought-partner and a key member of Compass’ Management Team. Reporting to the President, this position is responsible for the business and financial operations of Compass. S/he will manage the organization’s daily operations and the following areas: Finance/Audit, Budgeting, Human Resources, Legal, Compliance, IT and General Administration. The Director will play a critical role within the Management Team in strategic decision-making and converting ideas into operating plans as the organization continues to grow programmatically and geographically.
The Director oversees the budgeting and accounting functions. S/he ensures that sound policies, metrics, procedures, and internal controls are in place to provide timely and accurate information to all users. S/he monitors performance against budget, provides forecasts, and recommends adjustments and corrections as needed. S/he is Compass’ liaison with banks and contracted services including accountants, investment advisors, and legal counsel.
The Director ensures the implementation of best practices in human resource management. S/he
seeks to align the core value of inclusivity reflected in Compass’ programs with the diverse voices of
Compass’ board, staff, volunteers and clients. S/he ensures that Compass’ policies, compensation, benefits, and the growth opportunities offered to staff are equitably implemented and competitive in the Washington, DC, market.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic and innovative leader. S/he will have experience and excellent skills in budgeting, forecasting, and setting revenue and expense targets for multiple cities. The successful candidate will have a mindset of sustainable growth and will work with the President to achieve Compass’ goals. The successful candidate will be a leader with a management style that encourages creativity, open exchange of ideas, and teamwork.
The Director of Finance and Administration will be responsible for the following:
· Manage the annual budgeting and planning process; Monitor progress and changes to consistently achieve annual and longer-term financial objectives.
· Ensure cost-effective spending through spending guidelines, vendor management, and cost reduction focus
· Implement a robust financial management/reporting system to the President, local Executive Directors, and boards.
· Serve as lead staff member for the Finance Committee of the board, working closely with the Treasurer to develop agendas and present materials. Attend board meetings.
· Support external consultant, as needed, with the annual audit process.
· Handle the day-to-day processing of accounts receivable and payable using QuickBooks.
· Supervise payroll, employee benefits and organizational insurance.
· Evaluate and upgrade, as needed, an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
Administration and Human Resources
· Ensure efficient and consistent operations across multiple cities.
· Ensure compliance to all state, federal and local employment, business, and charitable giving laws; establish employment policies and procedures in line with legal requirements and best practices to support the culture and mission of Compass; work with external attorneys as needed.
· Responsible for directing all information systems activities.
· Develop recommendations regarding operating procedures, new hardware and software to support program effectiveness.
· Participate in the ongoing development and implementation of the organization’s strategic plan as an integral member of the Management Team.
Perform other related duties as requested.
· Financial, accounting and HR experience
· Excited about the mission of Compass
· An MBA, though not required, is preferred
· Capacity to juggle multiple, ongoing projects in a fast-paced environment
· Self-starter with great initiative who is able to work independently, but also collaboratively
· Highly organized, paying extraordinary attention to detail
· Ability to manage competing priorities, exercise good judgment, and quickly identify and resolve problems
· Superb verbal and writing skills
· Experience managing a high-performing team a plus
· Previous experience building organizational infrastructure (systems, processes, technology)
· Ability to thrive in an environment focused on growth
· Strong interpersonal, negotiation, and diplomacy skills, including a sense of humor
· Willing to attend occasional evening events
· Excited by opportunity to be part of a growing organization making a significant impact on the social sector
Compass offers health insurance, disability insurance, a retirement plan, 12 annual holidays, as well as vacation, sick and personal days.
Level of Language Proficiency
Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please prepare a cover letter that describes your specific interest in Compass, experience in operational and financial management, and any nonprofit experience. Send with a resume, salary history or requirements, and contact information for at least two professional references. References will not be called without the candidate’s knowledge and agreement.
Electronic submissions are requested. Send to email@example.com
All applications will be treated as confidential.
Please address materials to: Compass, 1720 N Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036, Attn: Suzanne Laporte
Please submit material in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word format, only.