Director of Business Development - Lending Department
- Job posted by Local Initiatives Support Corporation
LOCAL INITIATIVES SUPPORT CORPORATION
POSITION TITLE: Director of Business Development
Lending Department (National)
REPORTS TO: Senior Vice President for Lending
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Exempt / Full Time
LOCATION: New York, NY
What We Do
With residents and partners, LISC forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families.
Strategies We Pursue
Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our work together
Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth opportunities.
Invest in businesses, housing and other community infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities.
Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being.
Over the last 38 years, LISC and its affiliates have invested approximately $20 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities. These investments have leveraged more than $50 billion in development activity and helped families and communities raise their standards of living. LISC investments impact the lives of nearly 7 million Americans.
Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from East coast to West coast in 31 markets with offices extending from Buffalo to San Francisco. Our rural programs make an impact in 44 states, and are supported by LISC’s talented and dedicated workforce. Visit us at www.lisc.org
A core function of LISC is its operation as a loan fund. LISC provides various loan products to a wide array of project types. All loans are subject to oversight by LISC’s Lending Department. In 2017, LISC approved $300 million of new loan commitments, and the outstanding loan portfolio at year-end was approximately $365 million. LISC is looking to grow its lending volume in the years ahead.
LISC is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the newly created position of Director of Business Development (DBD) which will be part of LISC’s Lending Department and report to LISC’s Senior Vice President for Lending. The position will collaborate internally with LISC’s national and local programs and operating departments and externally with relevant stakeholders to develop new financial products and/or financial strategies and secure sources of financing for implementation. The DBD will be largely responsible for understanding the landscape of community development finance, identifying the challenges and opportunities within the field and translating LISCs’ core business strategies into informed recommendations regarding financial products and partnerships. The DBD will also serve as the Lending Department’s support for implementation of strategic priorities and innovations developed by individual LISC programs that require more sophisticated structuring and modeling.
- Pursue new knowledge, information, data and research in order to share an informed perspective and vision of the community development finance industry.
- Establish and maintain contacts and network with relevant market partners to identify evolving trends, risks and new product opportunities.
- Facilitate the strategic thinking process with internal and external partners around the development of new financial products and services that meet LISC’s mission.
- Collaborate with development, finance and national and local program areas to develop new strategies and innovations for financial products.
- Lead the process to secure funds for implementation, including development of investor materials.
- Lead project teams to create new initiatives across LISC’s project types and program areas, including the design of new loan products and lending programs.
- Develop and model fund structures for new financial products and for specific national program initiatives.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Applicants should have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required, post-graduate degree preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience in financial services, strategy consulting or related field. CDFI experience and/or subject matter expertise is strongly preferred.
- Sector knowledge of or familiarity with core LISC asset classes, including housing, charter schools, healthcare, commercial and small business lending.
- Strong capacity in transaction structuring and fund modeling.
- Exceptional research and critical thinking skills, ability to identify opportunities, problem solve and support new ideas.
- A strong and persuasive writer for both social issues and financial analysis and presentations.
- Familiarity with government subsidies and tax credit programs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively across the LISC network of local and national programs and LISC affiliates, including the National Equity Fund (NEF) and New Markets Support Company (NMSC).
- Good organizational abilities, including ability to work independently and manage multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Job Specifications
- LISC provides a competitive salary and excellent fringe benefits. The position will be located in LISC’s New York City headquarters and is available immediately. To apply, please email a detailed cover letter and resume to:
- Connie Max, Senior Vice President for Lending
- Local Initiatives Support Corporation
- 501 Seventh Avenue – 7th Floor, New York, New York 10018
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
LISC provides a competitive salary and excellent fringe benefits. The position will be located in LISC’s New York City headquarters and is available immediately. To apply, please email a detailed cover letter and resume to:
Connie Max, Senior Vice President for Lending
Local Initiatives Support Corporation
501 Seventh Avenue – 7th Floor, New York, New York 10018