Adult Education Academic/Career Counselor
- Job posted by NMIC (Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation)
45 Wadsworth Avenue
Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation (NMIC) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization founded in 1979 that has grown into a leading multi-service agency with over 120 staff serving New York City with a focus on upper Manhattan and the Bronx. Our mission is to serve as a catalyst for positive change in the lives of the people in our community on their paths to secure and prosperous futures. Integration is the cornerstone of NMIC’s programs, and our staff can identify and address a broad array of immediate needs through comprehensive crisis intervention services. With their crises resolved, clients move seamlessly to capacity building services through our holistic programs designed to transition individuals and families to self-sufficiency.
- Our Legal Services, Social Services, and Weatherization programs meet community members’ basic needs including housing, income, nutrition and health.
- Our Community Organizing program empowers groups of residents to collectively secure longer term and larger scale improvements to their own basic needs.
- Our Education & Career Services program imparts individual community members with the practical tools necessary to build secure and prosperous futures.
Job Title: Adult Education Academic/Career Counselor
Department: Education & Career Services
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: Main Office: 45 Wadsworth Avenue, NY, NY 10033
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
This is a full-time position within the Adult Education Division of the Education & Career Services Department reporting to the Adult Education Program Manager and working closely with other members of the Adult Education team. The position is responsible for providing case management to ABE/HSE and ESOL students, maintaining student records for the program, as well as administering assessments for the program. Specific responsibilities include the following and additional related duties assigned by the Manager, including off-site assignments requiring travel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Actively participate in student screening, eligibility determination, intake, assessment and enrollment.
- Administer literacy assessment tests (BestPlus 2.0, TABE) to applicants of adult education programming.
- Manage a caseload of adult education (ABE/HSE or ESOL) students each academic cycle.
- Meet with enrolled students one-on-one to develop individual service plans, set goals and plan engagement in educational activities.
- Ensure participation and attendance records are maintained accurately.
- Conduct follow-up outreach to absent students.
- Participate in case conferencing with teachers.
- Research and provide referrals to students with particular needs, including immigration, housing, mental health, legal services and public benefits.
- Provide in-house support services to students.
- Maintain and update student digital and paper case records, including writing case notes and entering client records into various databases.
- Facilitate workshops on topics as assigned.
- Participate in unit, departmental and agency meetings as required.
- Attend all assigned trainings and external meetings.
Additional related responsibilities may be assigned.
- BA in education or a related field
- Bilingual English and Spanish a MUST
- Minimum one year experience working with adult education programs or in a nonprofit setting
- Superb organizational, communication skills with keen attention to detail
NMIC offers a competitive salary based on experience and education as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life, and disability insurance; paid time off including 20 vacation days, 15 sick days, 5 personal days, and 12 agency holidays; a 401k with agency contribution; and other benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual English and Spanish a MUST
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit the following to Jennifer Argueta, Adult Education Program Manager, at email@example.com with the job title in the subject line:
- Cover letter
- Salary requirements
All attachments should be in Word or PDF form. No phone calls, please.