The staff accountant works closely with the director of finance and accounting as part of a busy two-person team that supports the work of Poets & Writers, a leading nonprofit literary arts organization. The staff accountant has primary responsibility for both accounts payable and accounts receivable and supports all functions of the department.
The staff accountant reports to the director of finance and accounting. This is a full-time position in our New York City office; we offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
- Manage accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Record payroll expense
- Reconcile internal credit card expense reports
- Prepare monthly bank account reconciliations
- Prepare and process approved journal entries
- Assist in the preparation of monthly budget and financial reports
- Prepare reports on charitable activities for all states requiring them
- Assist with preparation for the annual audit and tax filings
- Maintain electronic and paper files in accordance with our Document Retention Policy
- Provide outstanding support to staff and excellent customer service to clients
Qualifications and Experience:
- B.S. degree in accounting
- Minimum of two years of general accounting experience, preferably in the non-profit sector
- Knowledge of QuickBooks Enterprise
- Knowledge of Excel
- Experience with magazine publishing a plus
- Integrity and discretion required
- A perfectionist with commitment to 100% accuracy
- Ability to interact courteously with staff members and clients, provide clear information and excellent customer service
Health Insurance, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 403(b), generous paid time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send résumé and cover letter to: Bill Hayes, Director of Finance and Accounting, Poets & Writers, 90 Broad Street, Suite 2100, New York, NY 10004 or by e-mail to email@example.com. Attachments must be .doc, .rtf, or .pdf; other file types will not be opened. No calls or visits, please.