Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) is one of the largest public defense providers in the United States. We defend more than 35,000 indigent clients per year in New York City in criminal, family, and immigration proceedings. BDS represents clients who have diverse, complex, and multi-faceted needs in a high-volume, fast-paced setting. The HR department is responsible for managing all aspects of the employee lifecycle for almost 500 employees.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Human Resources, the HR Generalist owns the HR onboarding, leaves of absence, accommodations, and offboarding processes. The HR Generalist applies subject matter expertise and empathy to help employees navigate the various policies, benefits, and resources available to them in times of need.
· Manage the employee leaves of absence process: assessing eligibility; explaining the policies and procedures; ensuring accurate implementation of pay/benefits; and maintaining communication with the employees and the department managers throughout the leave.
· Manage employee accommodation requests, informing the employee of their options, gathering required information, and obtaining approvals.
· Coordinate the end-to-end onboarding and offboarding processes for new employees and non-employees (e.g. interns).
· Maintain an understanding of applicable federal, New York, and New York City employment laws, monitor external agencies for upcoming changes, and assess the implications for BDS.
· Support the Director of HR to identify opportunities for improvement and digitization for HR processes.
· Develop and maintain an understanding of all core HR processes in order to provide coverage when needed.
· Additional responsibilities as assigned.
· College degree in a HR, business, or related subject.
· 5+ years of HR experience.
· Knowledge of and experience applying federal, NY, and NYC employment laws, particularly FMLA, PFL, Short-Term Disability, Worker’s Compensation.
· Experience in employee onboarding and offboarding.
· Able to write documents and communications that explain complex policies, procedures, and issues in a way that the reader can understand.
· Able to communicate with employees on sensitive topics with empathy, judgement, and tact.
· Able to identify and find solutions to problems.
· Able to apply discretion and maintain confidentiality with sensitive information.
· Strong empathy and interpersonal skills.
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position. The normal schedule is Monday to Friday 9am-5pm, and the position is based at BDS’s offices in Downtown Brooklyn, NY 11201. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, most work for this position would initially be conducted remotely, but the job description remains the same. We work with staff to ensure that essential in-person functions are conducted as safely as possible, and will continue to do so as in-person work increases over the coming months.
Salary is determined commensurate with education and experience, starting at $65,000 for a candidate with a college degree and five years relevant experience. BDS also offers comprehensive benefits including health and dental insurance, short-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution, pre-tax commuter benefit, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, and above-average vacation, sick, holiday, family, and medical leave policies.
Click HERE to apply by submitting a cover letter and resume on our online application portal. BDS highly recommends submitting your application no later than June 18, 2021.
Brooklyn Defender Services is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse work environment and supports a nondiscrimination policy in all employment practices. We are focused on equity and inclusion and thus strongly encourage candidates of all identities, expressions, orientations, disabilities, experiences, and other characteristics that make us different to apply. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or another reason, you may contact the Director of Human Resources, Christina Wallace, at email@example.com.
Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) is one of the largest public defense providers in the United States. We defend more than 35,000 indigent clients per year in New York City in criminal, family, and immigration proceedings. BDS represents…