6800 Columbia Pike
Do you want to change the world?
If your goal is to instill your love of learning in others while advancing your own professional growth, this is your chance to get in on the ground floor of one of the world’s most innovative schools.
The Village School: An Acton Academy—located in Fairfax County—will be a one-room schoolhouse for the 21st century with innovative elements such as Quest-like projects with real world application, Socratic discussions, apprenticeships, and the Hero’s Journey in a student-centered, multi-age Studio.
We will open Fall 2018 and are searching for an Elementary Guide to start in July/August of 2018. The Guide is expected to work five days a week spending time in the Studio (classroom) and as well as planning, documenting, communicating with parents, and performing administrative tasks.
The Guide’s main role will be to move learners on a Hero's Journey to understand and develop their most precious gifts, to help them discover their deepest passions, and to inspire learners to use their gifts and passions to serve others in a meaningful way.
We believe our learners will go on to change the world in a profound way.
The Guide will work with the co-founders to:
- Facilitate a truly customized education for each learner in the Studio.
- Affirm students, holding them accountable to their promises and to their commitment to deliver “the best work they can do”.
- Create meaningful exhibitions, ceremonies and celebrations that reinforce the rules of engagement, personal and group covenants to provide and strengthen a safe learning community.
- Act as a role model as an independent learner on a Hero’s Journey.
- Launch and lead Socratic discussions.
- Create and launch Quests (projects), including developing daily challenges and curating world class examples.
- Supply Studio environment and set up Studio as inspiration for learning.
- Incorporate materials and lessons into ‘core skills’ work time. Observe and track each child’s progress via a cutting edge online dashboard.
- Encourage young heroes to track their progress and create portfolios to show parents, peers, and apprenticeship employers what they can do.
- Uphold promises to students, parents, and fellow Guides made in relational covenants.
- Pass along each of these responsibilities to students as quickly as possible, so as to allow students to lead themselves.
- Communicate with parents.
- A deep curiosity about life and love of lifelong learning.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to build and maintain a strong culture of self-directed learning.
- Customer service and user-centered orientation with the ability to give and receive feedback, meet needs, and get a positive response.
- Proven excellence in written and oral communication skills.
- Evident passion for being on a Hero’s Journey.
- Agile facilitating project-based / experiential / real-world learning.
- Proficient quantitative reasoning skills to look at learner growth data to inform next steps.
- Experience with children ages 7-12
This is a position for an independent learner who: can work with little direct guidance; likes to collaborate, experiment, evaluate and continually improve; has a deep respect for all children believing that each human has genius within; and is a flexible problem-solver.
It is essential that this person can learn fast, loves to work hard, and is an active reader and writer.
The position will begin mid-July 2018. School will begin in September 2018 and is an 11 month program. We run on 4-7 week Sessions with 1-2 week breaks in between Sessions. The Guide will be expected to work five days a week. We will be closed for seven or eight weeks in the summer—starting in mid-July through August.
In anticipation of our opening in September 2018, the Guide will work through the summer to learn the Acton model, prepare the Studio environment, and perform other administrative tasks.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your cover letter/application include:
- Why you feel you are a good fit for this position
- Your desired salary
- References (2-3)
Applications without these requirements will not be considered. Thank you!