Manager, Food and Forests
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Manager will support engagements with companies and investors on issues related to land use and climate. By building greater capacity on land-use change and GHG emissions, Ceres seeks to advance investor engagement with their portfolio companies on forest risks, with the objective of ultimately mitigating impacts to climate, GHG emissions, local communities, water resources, etc.
The Manager supports the research and programmatic work of the Food and Forests team, along with 4 other colleagues. This role would serve as the primary technical focal point on deforestation issues, working with investors, companies, and partner organizations to accelerate adoption and implementation of no-deforestation commitments. This is a full-time position, and will report to the Director, Food and Forests.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead direct engagement with companies on targets & plans related to deforestation/natural resources and climate strategies
- Co-develop strategies to influence corporate adoption of Ceres recommendations
- Support the work of the Food and Forests investor engagement team by providing issue expertise on deforestation
- Manage production, release and distribution of food and forests research, including reports, issue briefs, and engagement briefs for investors
- Manage consultants to conduct research and deliver written materials
- Train and supervise other Food and Forests team staff or interns as needed
- Stay current on scientific and market developments related to deforestation and corporate supply chains
- Support the development and execution of programmatic strategy for Ceres’ commodity-based deforestation work, including work planning, output delivery and progress evaluation
- Plan and execute educational events for investors and companies related deforestation
- Coordinate with other Ceres program teams (e.g. Investor Network, Company Network, Communications, Development, Operations) as needed to accomplish organizational objectives
- Partner with Program Director and Director in production of funding proposals with the Ceres Development team, providing support for funder meetings and outreach to potential new funders
- Travel to meetings and events, including international travel, as required
- Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, press conferences and meetings as spokesperson for project or program work
- Assure that programmatic strategies maximize the impacts of our work through a lens of social and racial equity
- Five years of work experience on sustainability issues, showing a progression of responsibilities in their positions
- Three years of relevant experience on deforestation, climate change, or agriculture issues
- Experience conducting research on deforestation, climate change, and agriculture issues preferred
- Demonstrate knowledge of supply chain dynamics and corporate sustainable sourcing best practices through academic coursework or direct work experience.
- Experience in deforestation, climate change, and agriculture issues in North American context is required, coupled with an understanding of the broader international context for sustainability
- Excellent writing and editing skills to produce high-quality white papers, reports and presentations. Ability to translate complex, technical science into information that can be used effectively by financial decision-makers
- Effective presentation style and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience managing and executing research projects
- Sound judgment, experience working with diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation
- Ability to move seamlessly between collaborative, team-driven activities and independent projects
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter. Please apply through the Ceres website, https://www.ceres.org/about-us/career-opportunities.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.