Details: Salary high 50s to low 60s (commensurate with experience)
40 Rector Street
We are Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF). We help people worldwide where the need is greatest, delivering emergency medical aid to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care. MSF-USA is an extremely diverse group of people working together towards MSF's common mission. We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to their work at MSF-USA.
The Systems Department in the U.S. office of Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) acts like the organization's central nervous system, providing the vital information infrastructure to ensure the smooth functioning of all its operations. The Systems Department is responsible for building, configuring and maintaining the technical architecture, both physical and virtual, which ensures MSF can achieve the ambitions of its mission.
The Help Desk Associate reports directly to the Director of Technology on the Systems team and oversees the operations of the MSF-USA Help Desk. Together with the Help Desk Assistant and the Systems Department interns, the Help Desk Associate provides technical assistance and training to MSF-USA staff, volunteers, and interns and investigates and resolves software and hardware problems for over 150 on-site and remote end-users at MSF-USA.
S/he also supports the Director of Technology and other network engineers on the Systems team in maintaining and backing up servers, implementing basic network, database, and application administration, ordering and configuring new hardware and software, and supporting MSF-USA’s telephone system.
Who you are
For this position it is important that you are:
- A communications specialist, diplomat, and collaborator as much of the daily duties revolve around interaction with different staff members
- A problem solver who can de-escalate stressful situations
- Detail-oriented, with the ability to multitask and prioritize in service to the IT needs of MSF-USA
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Help Desk Management and End-User Support (70%)
· Oversees staffing of MSF-USA Help Desk to ensure 100% coverage during business hours and in accordance with any service level agreements set by Systems Department leadership
· Provides ongoing training, guidance, and support to Help Desk Assistant and Systems Department interns to ensure level 1 and 2 help desk tickets are handled in accordance with Systems Department standards of service
· Oversees support of the audio-visual technology needs of end-users for meetings, presentations, and special events and provides supervision of Help Desk staff assigned to support A/V for scheduled events and ensures these events are staffed appropriately
· Answers, evaluates, and prioritizes incoming telephone, voicemail, email, and in-person requests for assistance from end-users experiencing problems with all technologies (hardware, software, and telephony) officially supported by the MSF-USA Systems Department
· Interviews end-users to collect information about problem and leads users through diagnostic procedures to determine source of error
· Guides end-users through established resolution paths for Level 1 and 2 help desk tickets; escalates more complex problems (Level 3) to Iteration Manager so they can be addressed by Systems team engineers
· Logs and tracks phone calls using Zendesk ticket management system; maintains comprehensive records of end-user interactions and documents learning in Systems Department knowledgebase
· Provides frequent updates to end-users on case resolution status using all appropriate means including email, phone, and in-person communication
· Prepares standard statistical reports on Help Desk activities, such as help desk incident overview, speed to case resolution, and categorization of end-user requests; makes recommendations to Director of Technology and Director of Systems for improved Help Desk reporting
· Maintains the tracking and inventory of technical equipment, both issued to end-users and items for repair
· Oversees the relocation and reconnection of end-user computing equipment in accordance with requests made by department directors/manager
End-User Training (20%)
· Conducts ad hoc and regularly scheduled trainings on supported MSF-USA applications on an as-needed basis
· Prepares training materials such as presentations, videos, and hand-outs for applications supported by the Systems Department, including Office 365, Outlook, MSF-USA telephony, and other collaboration technologies used for virtual meetings
Special Projects (10%)
As assigned by Director of Technology and Director of Systems, participates in various Systems Department projects and initiatives, including but not limited to:
· Vendor and/or software evaluation, selection, and implementation
· Process improvement (Agile transformation, use of lean methodologies, etc.)
· Implementation of new procedures related to business continuity, disaster recovery, and information security
· Carbon footprint reduction
· Other projects which are aligned with individual skill sets, work experience, and special interests
The Help Desk Associate directly supervises the Help Desk Assistant and is responsible for hiring and supervising two seasonal interns for the Systems Department. Supervises volunteers and temporary staff as needed.
Extent of Public Contact
The Help Desk Associate will have frequent contact with people outside the organization, including vendors, consultants, volunteers, donor advisory boards and members of the general public.
This position requires remaining productive and focused within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 4+ years directly-related experience
- 2+ years of managing a team dedicated to customer service and technical support
- Ability to troubleshoot hardware and software issues on Windows and Mac operating systems
- Strong knowledge of Office 365
- Ability to gather and analyze information skillfully and to develop alternative solutions
- Ability to communicate effectively about technical matters to non-technical staff
- Demonstrated ability to prepare logical and easy-to-use training materials
- Familiarity with Active Directory and setting up user accounts
- Ability to provide leadership and coaching to team members
- Experience in NGO and private sector
· Experience in using Zendesk
- Experience in using the Jira work management tool
Open ended Contract
Salary high 50s to low 60s (commensurate with experience)
Desired Hiring Date
13, August 2018
Working Time %
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: “Help Desk Associate”
No phone calls and emails please. Applications without cover letter will be disregarded.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: November 5, 2018