Community Outreach Director Assisting communities in accessing legal resources for environmental issues New Orleans, LA
- Job posted by Tulane Environmental Law Clinic
6329 Freret Street
Job posted by Tulane Environmental Law Clinic
Tulane University Law School started its Environmental Law Clinic in 1989 to offer students the real world experience of representing clients to resolve disputes under state and federal environmental laws. Now the Clinic is part of a first tier environmental law program and has become Louisiana’s premier public interest environmental legal services organization. On behalf of their clients, Clinic student and supervising attorneys litigate environmental “citizen suits” on behalf of communities across the Gulf South to abate industrial pollution, appeal permits for environmental pollution or destruction of wetlands, challenge agency regulations that fall short of legislative mandates, and prod agencies to perform statutory duties.
The Tulane Environmental Law Clinic seeks a Community Outreach Director to run the Clinic’s Community Outreach Program. The Program strives to enhance the power and effectiveness of grassroots organizations, municipal governments, and individual citizens. The Outreach Program works to integrate the Clinic's legal activities with long-term community strategies, helping communities create a context within which they can realize the full benefit of legal victories and effectively respond to legal setbacks.
The Community Outreach Program also assists the Clinic’s clients
in developing and maintaining an overall strategy to achieve their goals and ensures that they are poised to actively participate in their cases.This work involves helping organizations and individual clients understand the scope of the environmental quality and enforcement problems in the state and what actions they can take to effect change in these areas. The Community Outreach Program assists these organizations and individuals in working with staff attorneys and technical experts to identify the best remedies for these problems and in getting involved in the environmental decision-making process.
The Community Outreach Program:
- Serves as the primary liaison between the Clinic and its clients, working with Clinic staff and student attorneys to develop strategies for advancing client goals
- Facilitates community meetings, conference calls, workshops, and training sessions to empower clients
- Assists clients with networking, mailings, speaking, and strategy
- Issues timely and accurate information on environmental issues and recent developments to Clinic staff and clients
- Directs the Clinic's media strategy, maintaining a working relationship with members of the press, preparing press materials, and coordinating with clients regarding requests for press events
- Pursues grant funding for the Clinic
See Tulane University Benefits page.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required