Details: Sixth & I is an equal employment opportunity employer. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
600 I Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Sixth & I is seeking a full-time Authors & Speakers Associate to join our programming team to support the execution of events of 50-60 events annually within our speaker series.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position requires working on average 3 nights per week or weekend during busy season.
- Support the planning and execution of all speaker-oriented events, including talks with authors on book tours, panel discussions, and timely conversations—ranging in size from 75 - 800 attendees—with an eye to the finest of details.
- Assist with each event’s logistical coordination, capturing and planning for all advance logistics as well as day-to-day administrative tasks and communications with customers, vendors, and partners.
- Pre-event administration: Coordination with internal and external stakeholders; liaise with sound engineer, videographer, and photographer; build event ticket pages and monitor sales; place catering and supply orders; plan for space and audio/visual needs; assist with staffing and security plans for events; draft event announcements; track ticket transfers and reserved seating; respond to all customer inquiries.
- Day-of event management: Assemble buyer lists for will-call; prep event, bar, and will-call spaces; support the briefing of volunteers and event staff; serve as primary point person for will-call/sales during event; help facilitate book signings; provide superior customer service.
- Post-event follow-up: Submit invoices for processing; return shipments of books; review event evaluations and prepare recommendations for improving processes/experiences; track event performance history.
- Stay abreast of current events, pop culture, politics, and the arts to identify and inform event content.
- Administrative duties and staff other events as assigned.
- Proven success working in a fast-paced, high-pressure event planning or project management capacity.
- Meticulous, hard-working, self-motivated, efficient, collaborative and flexible approach to work.
- Demonstrated ability to think and act strategically to achieve objectives.
- Exemplary organizational and time management skills, in order to coordinate multiple events a week.
- Willingness to accept new and varying assignments.
- Ability to use considerable judgment and troubleshoot on your feet.
- Commitment to the highest level of customer service.
- Outgoing personality who will be a positive representative for Sixth & I.
- Accepts constructive feedback willingly.
- Affinity for working collaboratively with a team
- Ability to stand for several hours.
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Bachelors Degree
- 2-3 years of professional post-college work experience, ideally in an event planning or project management capacity.
What is Sixth & I?
Sixth & I is a non-profit center for arts, entertainment and ideas and a synagogue that reimagines how religion and community can enhance people’s everyday lives. Housed within a revitalized historic space dating back to 1908 in the heart of the Nation’s Capital, our unexpected mix of cultural and spiritual programs embraces the multi-faceted identities of those we serve and offers wide-ranging, eye-opening, and accessible experiences to inspire more meaningful and fulfilling lives.
Competitive Benefits Package
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with your name and "Authors & Speakers Associate" in the subject line. No phone calls or emails please. Candidates will be contacted if there is an opportunity to be interviewed.