126 Hyde Street
PO Box 423240
THC provides supportive housing to formerly homeless single adults, many of which have mental health, medical and/or substance abuse issues. We believe in Housing First -- essentially that a homeless person's first and primary need is for a roof over their head. Other issues that may affect them, and that might affect their housing, can more easily be addressed after they are housed. In other words, everyone has a right to a home, regardless of any other issues they might face.
About the Job:
The Associate Property Management Attorney assists Tenderloin Housing Clinic's (THC) Supervising Property Management Attorney in all legal matters, represents THC's Property Management Department and Transitional Housing Department in lease/contract enforcement matters as assigned, provides assistance in the drafting of rental agreements or notifications to tenants, and provides legal guidance as needed in small claims cases and in regards to policy and procedure.
- Litigate unlawful detainers on behalf of THC under the direction of the Property Management Attorney, which includes: drafting Nuisance 3-day notices, unlawful detainer complaints, and settlement agreements; representing THC at settlement conferences, motion hearings, trial and other assigned appearances.
- Coordinate with property management staff, support services staff, Behavioral Health Roving team, rental assistance agencies, and other support service providers to promote housing retention and prevent UD filings.
- Monitor and enforce stipulation agreements via ex parte procedures with the Superior Court; coordinate with property management and support services to determine the best course of action when a tenant is in default, while maintaining agency integrity and values;
- Under the direction of the Supervising Property Management Attorney, provide legal assistance when THC is named in affirmative lawsuits, both in general liability cases and small claims cases, and with responses to complaints filed with public agencies such as the Human Rights Commission, California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, and the San Francisco Rent Board.
- Collaborate with various THC departments and staff working on behalf of THC to prepare responses to lawsuits/complaints, and conduct investigations necessary to provide thorough and accurate responses.
- Assist in maintaining legal files on all lawsuits, including both unlawful detainers and affirmative cases. Track unlawful detainer statistics and corresponding demographic information.
- Research and write position memos regarding federal, state, and local laws as they pertain to THC policies, procedures and practices, as assigned.
- Maintain effective relationships with a variety of community based organizations, groups and individuals.
- With the approval of Supervising Property Management Attorney, attend Minimum Continuing Legal Education and other professional development trainings to maintain licensure and strengthen skills.
- Attend, participate in, and facilitate agency meetings and trainings, as requested.
Education and Experience
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree required.
- Must have a license to practice law in the State of California, and must be in good standing with the California State Bar.
- Experience working with diverse, low-income, homeless or formerly homeless population preferred.
- Experience working in non-profit or public sector preferred.
- Must have strong knowledge of San Francisco landlord-tenant law and contract law.
- Must pass all post-contingency offer background checks, reference checks, and TB screening clearances.
THC offers a comprehensive benefits program including medical, dental, and vision insurance for full-time employees and their eligible spouse/children, as well as a 403b plan, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, long-term disability, 12 paid vacation and 12 sick days, 11 paid holidays and 4 floating holidays annually.
Tenderloin Housing Clinic is proud of its diverse workforce and proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter of interest and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please visit our website: https://www.thclinic.org/careers/details.php?91