Details: Competitive Salary
Healthy Futures of Texas (HFTX)
Advocacy Communications Specialist
Healthy Futures of Texas is a nonprofit organization dedicated to reducing teen and unplanned pregnancy in Texas. We believe that all young people deserve to reach their full potential—and become parents at a time that is right for them and their family. Texas Women’s Healthcare Coalition is a project of Healthy Futures and promotes access to preventive healthcare for all Texas women. We are seeking a dynamic, motivated, and dedicated individual to help our organization achieve its mission to serve women, parents, teens, and our community.
JOB TITLE: Advocacy Communications Specialist
REPORTS TO: Advocacy and Policy Director
JOB SUMMARY: This full-time position with Healthy Futures of Texas is responsible for developing and driving the organization’s communications strategy which will include active, consistent and meaningful communications with advocates, community stakeholders, and the general public through online and print communications. With guidance and support from staff, they will ensure that our various audiences are informed and confident in the Texas Women’s Healthcare Coalition and other Healthy Futures of Texas’ programs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Major responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Develop and drive communications plan and effective campaigns to advance policy goals and expand TWHC’s audience
• Develop social media strategy and manage social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn)
• Maintain organizational websites by collaborating with web developer (using the WordPress content management system)
• Work collaboratively with the team to design print collateral, including brochures, publications, and event materials
• Work collaboratively with the team to develop monthly e-newsletters using email marketing system (Emma)
• Help draft and edit policy analyses, presentations, grant applications, and other written materials and ensure all public facing documents adhere to the organization’s templates
• Support TWHC basic media relations, including writing press releases and statements, maintaining media lists, and collecting media mentions
Healthy Futures of Texas is an equal-opportunity employer; women, people of color, members of
LGBTQ communities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
• Monitor local, regional, and national media and identify opportunities for TWHC to shape or respond to coverage on women’s preventive health issues
• Measure and evaluate TWHC online and print communications and media relations
• Work with staff to execute special events, including developing event communications and promotion.
• Represent Healthy Futures of Texas in the community in a professional manner
• Perform other related duties and fulfills responsibilities as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, mass media, public relations or related field
and 3-5 years of work experience with demonstrated success in a field mentioned above
• Exceptional writing and editing skills, including the ability to synthesize and clearly articulate information for various audiences
• Excellent organizational skills and able to work both collaboratively and autonomously in fast-paced work environment
• Demonstrated skill in media relations and reporter outreach, including writing press releases and statements, building media lists, and collecting media mentions
• Strong familiarity with information technology and social media
• Experience with website maintenance and email marketing systems
• Personal flexibility for deadline demands, late and weekend hours, and travel
• Demonstrated passion for social justice and health equity
• Personal transportation and cell phone
• Basic graphic design experience
• Experience in community or coalition work
• Knowledge of and comfort with reproductive and sexual health issues
• Excellent presentation skills
• Bilingual (English and Spanish)
• Work location: Austin
• Office environment
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please email a cover letter describing interest and qualifications, a résumé, a short writing sample (2-5 pages), and a list of 3 professional references to Erika Ramirez at ERamirez@HF-TX.org.
APPLICATION CLOSE DATE: Friday, August 10, 2018, or when position is filled.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual (English and Spanish)
Minimum Education Required