The Yleana Leadership Academy is seeking a full-time, year-round Operations Manager to start immediately. Major areas of responsibility include driving revenue to our for-profit arm through sales and marketing of an extant product, overseeing budgeting and finance as well as spearheading programs and general operations duties. This position has enormous opportunity for growth and is an excellent way to learn all aspects of operating a successful non-profit organization. The Operations Manager will also have the opportunity to explore relevant areas such as fundraising/grant-writing, event planning, youth development, and curriculum development.
- 35%: Sales/marketing/public relations planning for SSA (for-profit arm of Yleana; drives revenue to non-profit)
- Making/maintaining contacts at private schools/high schools
- Calling/following up with leads generated by ads
- Presenting SSA in a variety of situations
- May include travel
- 30%: Administrative and operational tasks as needed for both Yleana and SSA
- Operations/non-profit management such as helping recruit summer staff, communicating with board members and donors
- Communicating with:
- Students: future, alums and current cohort
- Partner organizations
- Help plan and conduct summer programming
- May include helping to develop/tweak curriculum
- 20%: Expense tracking and budgeting
- 10%: Grant research and writing, fundraising, preparation of necessary materials
- 5%: Personal area of interest
- Summer: depends on your particular aptitude (programs or admin or teaching)
- May include instructing students in the SAT (critical reading, writing, math, and essay) at our summer program
- May include running programs for camp
- May include being the program administrator for SSA and/or Yleana
We are looking for someone who is comfortable with and willing to take on multiple roles. The Operations Manager should be interested in both the quantity and breadth of work entailed in a startup/non-profit as well as the mission of the organization. A crucial part of the Operations Manager’s duties will include assisting senior staff with logistics/planning for the entire year; the ultimate goal is to of execute two 3-week summer sessions of approximately 40 students on two college campuses (Colgate University and Mount Holyoke College), one of which will run concurrently with SSA (our for-profit arm).
We'd love to hear from you if you:
- Have a BA/BS degree (required)
- Have 1-2 years’ relevant experience (highly preferred) in:
- Managing others in a position of leadership
- Are excited about working in a startup environment and understand the concomitant flexibility of roles, ability to juggle multiple tasks concurrently, self-motivation, time commitment, and dedication required by this environment
- Have experience using Google Drive (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms) and Google Calendar
- Have exceptional organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Are comfortable working both in a team and independently
- Able to prioritize multiple tasks in the long-term and short-term
- Communicate effectively with managers and co-workers
- Use correct grammar and punctuation
- Are comfortable working with new and current technology
- Adapt quickly to unforeseen problems and find creative solutions
- Have a passion for helping students from historically marginalized communities succeed in graduating high school and matriculating to college
Because we run a camp over the summer, the Operations Manager will be required to come with us to camp. Yleana’s Operations Manager position includes health benefits and 2 weeks of paid vacation. Pay is commensurate with experience. You will receive full room and board for the duration of camp. The position is based in NYC, with the option to work from home 20-40% of the time after onboarding, upon agreement with Yleana’s Executive Director.
To apply, please send us your resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please tell us where you heard about the opportunity, why you feel connected to our population, and why you want to work for Yleana. You will be asked to take an SAT-based assessment.
The next priority application deadline is January 31, 2019. We hire on a rolling basis, so the earlier you apply, the better.
Diversity and equal opportunity are at the core of Yleana and our mission. We are committed to building a team that reflects the world, as well as our student cohort. People who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required