Details: Stipend to cover food and personal items ($500/month for Bachelors; $750 for MBA)
Meds & Food for Kids (MFK), a registered NGO and 501c3 nonprofit, has an immediate opening for a fellowship position in Finance at its facility in Cap-Haitien, Haiti.
MFK offers the opportunity to share your skills and gain first-hand experience working in international development for a dynamic young social enterprise. This position is based in Haiti. MFK requires a 12-month commitment working with majority Haitian staff as well as North American and European staff.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
1. Financial Management
· Implements to its full potential the Enterprise Resource Planning system (ERP Next)
· Develops a cash flow monitoring system to minimize working capital needs in a rapid growth environment
o Manages through the implementation of the ERP system the control and reduction of inventories of raw materials, packaging, finished goods as well as WIP, working to minimize working capital requirements
o Develops a sales and relationship management strategy for therapeutic products to reduce days of account receivable, mentoring Haitian Customer Relation Manager
· Collaborates closely with accountant in USA, bookkeeper in Haiti and Director General in Haiti regarding the financials of MFK
· Orchestrates the migration of QuickBooks accounting data to ERP Next system
· Develops annual budget in partnership with management team and accountant in USA; improves accuracy of financial forecasting and track performance relative to budget through the year
· Collaborates with accountant in USA and bookkeeper in Haiti to complete audit of current fiscal year
· Assists with developing budgets for grants proposals, and related subsequent financial reporting
· Mentors and trains local staff in finance processes and other finance tasks as appropriate
o Collaborating with Haitian staff for financial record keeping and financial planning
o Mentoring and enabling bookkeeper in Haiti to take charge of the next Haiti audit
· Special projects to support the chief operating officer in the management of the factory.
2. Financial Planning and Analysis
· Analyzes financial performance, conduct budget variance analysis and identify financial risks
· Provides financial modeling including sensitivity and scenario analysis to inform strategic decisions of MFK around pricing of new and existing products, capital requirements, growth plans and new initiatives
· Duties and special projects as assigned by the Executive Director, Deputy Director, the US-based accountant, and the chief operating officer in Haiti.
· Bachelors of Science or Bachelors of Arts in business, accounting, economics or related field; Master’s in Business Administration degree preferred;
· Minimum two years of business work experience; experience managing both processes and people; experience with business aspects of nonprofits or social enterprises preferred;
· Experience with volume and financial forecasting and modeling, budgeting, accounting systems; experience with enterprise resource planning systems a plus
· Experience working and living in the developing world;
Working and Living in Haiti:
The Cap-Haitien area is relatively quiet and peaceful, but it is still somewhat underdeveloped. It challenges staff in many regards: emotionally, socially, and professionally. This job is challenging, but it is also rewarding. The fellow will be a vital, indispensable member of the MFK team in its mission to make life-saving RUTF, and other fortified nutritional products available to children and other vulnerable populations in Haiti. The fellow will live with other MFK staff in a secure apartment complex. S/he will be welcomed in group activities (e.g., trips to the beach, mountains, historical monuments).
The fellowship covers travel to and from Haiti, generous vacation time, housing, health and medical evacuation insurance, and daily transportation to and from the MFK facility. A small, monthly stipend covers food and personal items.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; knowledge of French preferred; knowledge of Haitian Creole a plus.
Minimum Education Required