710 Cherry Street
The Building Assistant is responsible for providing excellent customer service as well as monitoring and assisting with the safety and security of each building and our tenants. Most Plymouth buildings are staffed 7-days a week 24-hours a day. The Building Assistant position is responsible for assisting the Building Manager in tenant management, enforcing building rules, performing janitorial tasks and building maintenance. In the absence of the Building Manager, the Building Assistant is responsible for responding to and reporting tenant and building emergencies. The Building Assistant maintains service-delivery based on the values inherent in Plymouth’s mission, the principles of cultural proficiency, the tenets of harm reduction, and the ‘housing first’ philosophy.
The position is generally assigned to an individual Plymouth building, but may be reassigned on a short- or long-term basis or shared between properties, based on business/service needs. Compensation will be reduced based on reduced rent for the live-in position. This is a unionized position, represented by Local 8 of the Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU).
Location: Plymouth on First Hill (710 Cherry St, Seattle, WA 98104)
Schedule: Thursday - Monday, 12:00am - 8:00am
Live-In or Live-Out: Live-In
Plymouth Housing Group is non-profit organization with 160+ employees and an annual operating budget of over $21 million. Our mission is to eliminate homelessness and stabilize homeless and very-low-income people in housing by preserving, developing, and operating safe, decent, affordable housing, and by providing opportunities for homeless and very-low-income people to improve their lives. Plymouth owns and operates 13 apartment buildings in the downtown Seattle corridor, providing permanent homes to over 1,000 people.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
(Responsibilities, accountabilities, and competencies; may not include all duties of this job)
- Maintains order and a safe, sanitary living and work environment including offices, outside areas and grounds by conducting floor checks, perimeter checks and unit inspections.
- Maintains building security at all times by following building/staff safety and emergency procedures according to Plymouth policies.
- Monitors all areas of the building and systems with the use of security cameras and by regular checks of common areas to ensure tenant and building safety.
- Monitors building to ensure only authorized persons enter the building and all guests follow building rules and policies.
- Ensures the removal of unauthorized persons within Plymouth guidelines.
- Supports and assists tenants logging guests in and out of the database.
- Enforces Plymouth’s guest policies and procedures for guest approvals and guest management.
- Writes up Incident Reports as appropriate.
- Unlocks tenant door when tenant locked out.
- Supports and enforces building rules and responds to tenant complaints.
- Responds to building emergencies and takes action within Plymouth guidelines.
- Contacts and/or coordinates 911, police, detox, fire department, and other service agencies and appropriate staff for assistance as needed according to Plymouth policies.
- Makes referrals to social service staff and Building Manager as appropriate.
- Completes work order requests as needed.
- Operates intercom system by communicating with tenant rooms when guests arrive.
- Cleans common baths, showers and toilets.
- Cleans windows in common areas.
- Cleans assigned common areas, including vacuuming carpets and mopping floors.
- Tracks and maintains supply inventory.
- Takes out trash and rotates dumpsters.
- Stocks paper products in bathrooms as necessary.
- Cleans building entry and sidewalks.
- Assists building staff in preparing vacant units.
- Performs light landscaping and lawn maintenance.
- Assists with physical evictions.
- Unclogs and repairs toilets.
- Changes smoke detectors and lights as needed.
- Familiar with location of shut-offs (water, electrical, heat) and how to perform emergency shut-offs.
- Assists with periodic unit safety checks and inspections.
- Assists with pest control, including treatment for bedbugs.
- Moves building and unit furniture.
- Ability to re-set elevator.
- Use office machines to file, fax, and photocopy.
- Maintains various daily logs of building activities and building records.
- Answers phone and follows proper phone procedures.
- Familiar with documentation forms such as Incident Reports, Tenant Concerns and work orders. Notices to vacate, and move out forms.
- Use Microsoft Outlook for communication and scheduling.
- Assists with gathering of tenant information.
- Assists with rent collection and rent receipts.
- Shows vacant units.
- Distributes and posts flyers and notices.
- Facilitates access to building areas for contractors, repair and service representatives and vendors.
- Assists with office and janitorial supply inventories.
- Attends mandatory meetings.
- Participates and contributes to meeting of team goals.
- Fulfills other duties as requested by the Building Manager, and/or the Property Manager.
- Must be able to live in the building.
- Reports any tenant activities and building issues of concern observed during time-off.
- Responds to building emergencies e.g., fire alarm and blackout and assists staff on-shift.
- Assists staff upon request to provide back-up and/or show of force to maintain safety.
- Works extra hours and/or shifts as needed due to staff illness, no shows, vacations and open positions in order to maintain building coverage and operations.
- Must meet live-in position income eligibility criteria.
Previous customer service experience required. Must have personal skills to communicate effectively with tenants and the public, and maintain professional boundaries with tenants. Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment. Must be able to read, write and understand English. Experienced with Microsoft Office applications Word and Outlook. Must be able to work efficiently and effectively with customized databases and technology, and conduct Internet research.
Experience with diverse, low-income or special needs population. Experience in rule enforcement, including lease and building rules as well as Seattle Landlord/Tenant law. Janitorial, light maintenance or security experience preferred. Previous employment in social services, supportive housing or mental health desired.
$15.75 per hour ($15.25 per hour base pay + additional $0.50 per hour for time worked between 12:00am-8:00am)
- Additional $0.50 per hour for weekends
Excellent benefits package - Medical/Vision/Dental, 403(B) Retirement Plan, Paid Time Off (PTO), Paid Holidays, Subsidized ORCA Card, Health Club Membership, Life and AD&D, Supplemental and Dependent Life Insurance, Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Flexible Benefit Plan, and benefits for domestic partners who qualify. Details at https://plymouthcareers.silkroad.com/plymouthhousing/Home/Benefits.html.
Open until filled.
Plymouth Housing Group is committed to doing its work with compassion and respect for the dignity, worth, and uniqueness of all people and all cultures.
PLYMOUTH HOUSING GROUP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. People of Color, Individuals with Disabilities, and Veterans Encouraged to Apply
see job description
Minimum Education Required