The Trust for Governors Island seeks a skilled and experienced Marketing and Communications Manager to support the promotion of Governors Island as a dynamic public destination and its growth as a year-round resource for New York City. Reporting to the Vice President for Public Affairs, the Marketing and Communications Manager will support the Trust’s marketing and communications efforts across multiple platforms, including the promotion of its park and open spaces, arts and culture program, as well as real estate marketing and leasing efforts. This is an exciting opportunity for a communications professional to grow their career at a fast- growing public place in New York City.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supporting the efforts of the Public Affairs team to grow awareness and visibility of Governors Island as a unique and dynamic destination to diverse audiences.
- Promoting Governors Island’s public season, park, and arts and culture program through digital marketing efforts, promotions and earned media.
- Supporting the VP of Public Affairs and the Real Estate department with marketing efforts to attract educational, commercial, and non-profit tenants, including the development of promotional collateral, Request for Proposals and more.
- Working with the VP of Public Affairs and PR consultants on the development of press releases, overall press strategy and media outreach.
- Managing the Island’s social media platforms and e-newsletter, and actively work to grow the Island’s digital audience.
- Leading and owning regular content development, updates, and maintenance for govisland.org.
- Managing Governors Island’s brand identity and public messaging.
- Overseeing the creation of other promotional collateral, including but not limited to physical and digital signage, visitor and community-facing guides and materials, marketing presentations, brochures and more.
- Serving as liaison between the Trust and Island tenants, programming partners, the Friends of Governors Island, and the National Park Service on communications and marketing matters.
- Manage and schedule communications in consultation with departments and other partners and ensure consistent voice and messaging on shared platforms.
- Tracking audience and engagement metrics across all digital platforms.
- Support special projects and strategic initiatives as needed, including other departmental workstreams related to community outreach, arts and culture, public programming, and fundraising efforts.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Marketing, Strategic Communications, Political Science, Urban Planning, or related field is required.
- 3-5 years of experience in a marketing or communications role is required.
- Experience working in a public space, cultural institution, planning or economic development entity or real estate organization a plus.
- Exemplary written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in social media platforms, including Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Experience in public relations and interacting with members of the media.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication and project management skills, ability to comprehend and coordinate logistics across a range of subject matters.
- Ability to be flexible and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- High level of self-organization, autonomy, and discipline.
- Superior project management skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and InDesign.
- Advanced graphic design skills and proficiency in HTML a plus.
- Additional language skills a plus.
Please send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document to email@example.com with “Marketing and Communications Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Trust for Governors Island does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, genetic information, marital status, membership in an employee organization, military service, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, or other non-merit factor.
ABOUT THE TRUST FOR GOVERNORS ISLAND
The Trust for Governors Island (The Trust) is a nonprofit corporation created by the City of New York. It is responsible for the redevelopment and operation of 150 acres of Governors Island. The Trust's mission is to realize the full potential of Governors Island, demonstrating a bold vision for public space. For more information, visit www.govisland.org