The position has two main objectives:
First guaranteeing that the team properly monitor, ensure the quality and follow up the implementation of the WASH projects in Zahle base, having and strategic overview on the department. In addition providing support to the different teams to implement the needed activities in coordination with the other technical and support Departments at base level.
Second, to ensure best practices are capitalized upon and strong lessons learned from the current program, feeding into Action Against Hunger strategy and vision in Lebanon.
Objective 1: Ensure timely and quality implementation of WASH projects at base level through experienced senior management (50%)
- Define the program implementation modalities, methodologies and tools for an integrated programming together with Operations Coordinator and Wash Coordinator.
- To provide guidance to the project teams in weekly planning meetings (activity follow up, trainings, monitoring, reporting, etc.) To ensure this plan is in line with the project workplan; assuring its accomplishment on a timely manner, in coordination with the project team and the Coordination office in Beirut.
- Identify, jointly with the team, program constraints and delays during implementation, propose solutions and support the correct implementation.
- To ensure proper archiving of technical support documents.
- Participate in the recruitment and training of the staff involved in the project, supporting the Head of Projects to coordinate team members’ activities.
- Facilitate regular staff meetings to ensure awareness of program objectives and have the opportunity for feedback.
- To provide verbal and written reports to direct and functional managers on the agreed frequency.
- Support the development and improvement of staff who have managerial positions, improving both skills and knowledge amongst the team.
- Coordinate and implement together with the Operations Coordinator and the Wash Coordinator ACF mission strategy.
Objective 2: Donor Reporting, budget and procurement follow-up, support on the preparation of new proposals (30%)
- Work closely with the Grants, Manager and the WASH Coordinator in drafting activity reports for each donor on a timely manner.
- Work closely with the HoP’s and build their capacity for them to prepare monthly internal Activity Progress Reports for all WASH activities in Bekaa.
- Ensure timely procurement of goods and services for the program, budget follow-up and forecast from the HoP, in close coordination with Logistics and Admin Departments.
- Participate in the design of new budgets and proposals, in coordination with the Grants Manager, Operations Coordinator and WASH Coordinator.
- Supervise the preparation of the documents for the donors, including by not limited to: assessment reports, studies, best practices, lessons learned, etc.
- Capitalise existing programming and provide high quality analysis and evaluation of approaches.
- Report to the InterAgency Working Groups, UN bodies and ‘Activity Info’ on outputs of Action Against Hunger WASH programmes in Bekaa.
- To ensure the WASH team’s monitoring and evaluation of the program is effective and functioning for both direct and indirect results expected in the project.
- Work closely with the MEAL department to provide quality analysis and synthesis of information.
Objective 3: Participation on stakeholders’ coordination events (10%)
- Participate on stakeholders’ meeting related to the WASH Sector, both at base and capital level.
- Represent Action Against Hunger in working groups, for a discussion and Inter-agency WASH coordination meetings when required.
- Participate on working groups and coordination meetings related to the Consortia structure where is ACF part of.
Objective 5: Support humanitarian activities of Action Against Hunger (10%)
- Support ACF’s emergency interventions in Bekaa and Aarsal, in collaboration with the rest of the Departments and the emergency team.
- Support in identified new humanitarian needs that might arise in the coming months, based on the evolution of the Lebanese context.
- Support on providing building the capacity of the existing WASH teams to be able to respond to humanitarian needs and gaps when needed.
- Promote gender equality within the humanitarian and development work.
Objective 6: Security (additional, mandatory)
- Respect the security rules specified in the mission and base security plan, see to it that the team under his/her responsibility complies with the security plan and perform the security management tasks that can be assigned in its protocols.
- Communicate to the security managers of the working location any security related issue or non-compliance with the security plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Architecture or Environmental Sciences.
- Specific training in Human Resources Management.
- Specific training on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene.
- Specific training on Programme Cycle Management.
Technical specific knowledge:
- Significant understanding and experience with project budgets and financial management
- Good context analysis skills, previous experience in similar position of at least 5 years in management positions in the humanitarian field.
- Excellent team management skills, good listener, high communication skills.
- Knowledge or experience of working in consortia or similar.
- Experience in representation/external coordination.
- Experience working in integrated programmes.
- Good understanding of the country context, and good analysis skills.
- Good analytical skills and the capability to work in a precise, structured and detailed manner.
- Must have good drafting and verbal communications skills, development of monitoring tools.
- Experience in building the capacity of staff and manage large teams.
- Acquainted with the Middle East context. Knowledge of the context in Lebanon is an advantage.
- Expertise in Water, Wastewater, Hygiene intervention.
- Programmatic experience in Emergency Response and Protection approach.
Humanitarian sector knowledge:
- English (compulsory working language, spoken, read and written); Arabic (useful).
IT and specific systems:
- Strong computer skills in Office environment and data management
Mobility (national/ international)
- Based in Zahle, Lebanon
- Frequent travels to Beirut and frequent presence in the field.