Grant Manager, Digital Learning Solution Network
- Job posted by Western Interstate Cooperative for Higher Education
Details: The Grant Manager position is fully funded by a grant through December 2021 with excellent prospects for continuation beyond this time period.
An Excellent Career Opportunity to Promote Student Achievement in Higher Education
This position is an opportunity to join WICHE Cooperative for Educational Technologies (WCET) and the Digital Learning Solution Network (DLSN) as a grant manager for an exciting national initiative to advance the use of digital and adaptive learning within higher education.
The Context for this Opportunity
In May 2017 WICHE/WCET was awarded a three-year grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to serve as the “Backbone” organization to the new Digital Learning Solution Network (DLSN). Information about WCET and WICHE is provided at the end of this document. In May 2018, this grant was extended through December 2021 alongside another grant which will enable the development of assets and technical assistance to institutions in order to promote the adoption of adaptive courseware in foundational courses in order to increase student success and eliminate racial/ethnic and socioeconomic disparities in college attainment.
The context for this important grant and forthcoming work is the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s vision of a “U.S. higher education system that propels social mobility and economic development.” (Postsecondary Success Strategy, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, 2017) The Foundation has partnered with institutions and organizations nationally to dramatically change how higher education can “make the path to a credential clearer and eliminate unnecessary roadblocks and costs for students committed to their goals.” Digital learning is one of several investment priorities for improving student success among low-income, first generation and students of color. By leveraging the collective vision, research findings, effective practices, influential connections, and creative ideas of multiple organizations connected as a network, the Foundation seeks to accelerate and expand the impact of its investments. The backbone grant allows WCET to leverage social impact network principles to build the synergy and scale of digital learning solutions across postsecondary institutions with a particular focus on improved outcomes for vulnerable populations with the expectation that the network will evolve into an impactful, innovative, and sustainable entity.
The Digital Learning Solution Network and the Backbone Organization (WCET)
The Digital Learning Solution Network promotes collaboration among a mix of 13 partner organizations. To make this model of collaboration and leveraged resources work, WCET serves as the Backbone organization and provides essential stewardship, strong communications, and effective relationship-building among the organizational members of the Digital Learning Solution Network. Key Backbone responsibilities include:
- Support development of a healthy Solution Network.
- Support ongoing Network activity.
- Support key grantee collaborations.
- Provide leadership on fiduciary management for the Network.
Together, members of the Solution Network have identified a strategy that will increase the evidence, awareness, availability, and adoption of digital courseware, especially by institutions that serve large numbers of first generation and low-income students and students of color. The initial focus of the Solution Network’s work will be on the adoption of adaptive courseware in foundational courses.
The 13 members that comprise the Digital Learning Solution Network represent national higher education organizations, research organizations, providers of impactful digital learning solutions, and higher education strategy and consulting organizations. Many of the Network members are recipients of earlier digital learning related grants from the funder.
The Position – Grant Manager, Digital Learning Solution Network
The Grant Manager will report to the DLSN’s Director. The scope of work includes the development of new grant opportunities and the administration of current grand funding from a financial perspective, including pre and post award activities. The successful candidate will be part of a team and will work with a broad range of individuals and constituencies across the United States. The position requires a highly motivated and collaborative individual with strong accounting and finance skills.
- Review proposed budgets, monitor awards for compliance with sponsor terms and conditions and adherence to government and University fiscal policies and procedures.
- Prepare various journal entries related to indirect costs, salary, and fringe benefit allocations, and adjustments as necessary.
- Maintain grants inventory report, grants receivable report, cost sharing and other status reports.
- Participate in fiscal year- end audit of grants and single audit report.
- Prepare and submit timely invoices, financial reports and close out reports to various funders.
- Review expenditures for allowability, allocability and reasonableness as well as compliance with grant restrictions, uniform guidance and WICHE policies.
- Distribute financial reports; identify, communicate and correct discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Perform monthly analysis of trial balance and general ledger to resolve budget, expenditure, billing, grants receivable and close out issues on awards.
- Review grant related contracts for compliance with federal, sponsor and WICHE guidelines.
- Prepare award budgets, fund set up requests, budget modifications and monthly drawdowns.
- Prepare periodic ad hoc financial reports as required.
- Assist in identifying and implementing grants management improvements to enhance efficiencies.
- Research, interpret, and disseminate information on funding opportunities.
- Maintain library of grant resources, current requests for proposals, successful sample proposals, and guidelines for developing and writing grants. This is to include the creation and updating of template grant materials.
- Schedule, facilitate, and support meetings to discuss and identify funding needs and grant possibilities based on network priorities and to support grant development and project planning.
- Coordinate the gathering of information needed for proposals.
- Develop, organize, compose, and edit/write proposals developed by other network staff.
- § Perform other related duties as required to accomplish the objectives of the DLSN.
- Bachelor’s degree required (Accounting or Finance preferred) or related field or equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience.
- Previous demonstrated experience with spreadsheet, database management, and financial report writing skills training or experience and intermediate word processing skills
- Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks.
- Strong attention to detail and strong analytical skills.
- Previous related work experience
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Prior experience working with grants
- Prior experience managing databases
- Experience in working successfully with members of low-income and minority groups.
- An interest in taking on additional responsibilities and mastering new technologies.
- Familiarity with the organization and structures of higher education in the U.S.
- Familiarity with technology-enhanced education in the U.S.
The Grant Manager position is fully funded by a grant through December 2021 with excellent prospects for continuation beyond this time period. The Grant Manager will report to the Director, Digital Learning Solution Network, and will be based from WCET’s offices in Boulder, Colorado. (Flexible working arrangements may be considered). Travel is anticipated at 1-2 trips annually.
WICHE Cooperative for Educational Technologies (WCET)
WCET – the WICHE Cooperative for Educational Technologies – is a national, membership-based, non-profit organization whose mission is to accelerate the adoption of effective practices and policies, advancing excellence in technology-enhanced teaching and learning in higher education. WCET is nationally recognized as one of the most informative, reliable, forward-thinking organizations regarding the role of technology and innovation in higher education.
WCET was established in 1989 to promote collaboration and information sharing about educational technologies in higher education. Today, WCET supports over 370 colleges, universities, state higher education agencies, non-profits and for-profit companies across the U.S. and Canada, with over 3,700 active WCET users. WCET focuses on practice, policy, and advocacy, and fulfills these core functions by leveraging the expertise within the WCET community, supporting action agendas based on member priorities, facilitating information dissemination and professional networking, and delivering responsive excellence to its higher education members. WCET’s parent organization is the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) which has strong connections to state and national decision makers, policy makers, and foundations.
WICHE is committed to an inclusive environment that brings together individuals of diverse backgrounds and perspectives and encourages applications from diverse candidates.
WICHE offers a competitive benefits package which includes medical, dental, life, and disability insurance; flexible spending accounts; 403(b) retirement plan; and vacation, sick, holiday, and personal leave time.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply online at ADP Workforce Now. You will need to create an account. Use the above link to access the position description and requirements and to apply.
Applicants will submit a letter of application stating why you are interested in the Grant Manager position and highlight your skills and experiences that support you as a great fit for this exciting career opportunity in postsecondary digital learning. Also submit an up-to-date resumé and three references. References will not be contacted until a later stage of the review process. Screening will begin 10/9/2018 and position will remain open until filled.