Apply Today to Spark Opportunity for NYC Public School Students
- Job posted by NYC Department of Education
Teach New York City
The New York City Department of Education is the nation’s largest public school system, serving 1.1 million students from very background and corner of the globe. With more than 1,800 schools and a city full of resources, New York City teachers are uniquely empowered to develop their skills and impact their community. Nowhere else will you find as many opportunities to find your fit and build a career that excites you.
New York City hires talented and qualified teachers from a wide range of certification areas. While our hiring needs change each year, we are always seeking certified and passionate teachers for critical subject areas, including:
- Early Childhood- Pre-K and 3-K
- Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM)
- Bilingual Education and English as a New Language
- Special Education
- Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- Physical Education
Compensation and Benefits
- New York City public schools offer competitive starting salaries which range based on education and years of teaching experience. A teacher with a Master’s Degree and no prior teaching experience would start at $63,751.
- Comprehensive Health Insurance Plan (Medical, Dental, Vision, and Prescription Drugs)
- Enrollment in pension plan
- Opportunities for additional income through a wide array of incentives and school positions that will stretch and challenge you as an educator
To teach in New York City, candidates must first meet the following requirements:
- Possess or be on track to earn a New York State Department of Education (NYSED) teaching certification by the start of the 2018-19 school year. If you are not already NYSED-certified, there are several ways to obtain certification.
- Complete an online teacher application at TeachNYC.net
Learn more about our application requirements and apply to teach in New York City today
Minimum Education Required