***This is not a typical job and we are not looking for a typical candidate.***
You might be:
- A coach who appreciates the potential impact of sports on a child’s character development, self-discipline, and a sense of belonging;
- A coach who has always secretly thought that you could be a great school leader;
- A management consultant (with a plethora of skills and a creeping sense of purposelessness) who’s looking for a change;
- Or a concerned citizen who has been frustrated with the limitations of the public school system
You definitely: feel in your bones that you could be a great fit for this job.
Fugees Academy, founded in 2006 by CNN Top 10 Hero 2016 and TED Talk 2017 Speaker Luma Mufleh, is expanding into a National network of schools for refugee youth. Beginning in the fall of 2018, we will have schools in two states. In order to support our growth, we are seeking a Dean of Students/Athletic Director for our school in Cleveland, OH opening in fall 2019. Prior to the beginning of the next school year, the Dean of Students/Head of Athletics will shadow Coach Luma at Fugees Academy in Columbus, OH to prepare to take over as the school leader in Cleveland, OH the following school year.
Job Description & General Responsibilities
We were a soccer program before we became a school; we embrace the power of sport as a central part of our identity, even as an academic institution. The head coach naturally establishes trust with players and a rapport that allows for open and honest communication. The head coach has a “field-based” perspective; for students with limited formal education and an uphill climb to learn English and become acclimated to American society, the value of a consistent leader--from soccer practice to school--cannot be overstated. As Dean of Students/Athletic Director, your responsibilities will include:
- First and foremost: “wearing many hats”; this position requires extreme flexibility, willingness to jump in as needed, and a positive attitude when faced with all kinds of challenge;
- Serving as head coach of the school’s soccer team;
- Serving as a cultural broker with students, their families, and the community;
· Participating in the planning to open Fugees Academy – Cleveland, OH including (but not limited to) student and family outreach and recruitment, supporting with the completion of the Ohio Department of Education’s application requirements, facility preparation, staff and student recruitment, building community relationships, and soccer program development;
- Preparing to/providing day-to-day leadership of Fugees Academy: supervision and support of faculty, familiarity with curriculum and student learning, student discipline, and teacher coaching;
- Fostering a safe, highly effective, and well-organized educational environment that welcomes and nurtures a team approach and close working relationship with all school-wide constituencies (i.e., parents and guardians, families, students, faculty and staff, other administrators, advisors, trustees).
- In alignment with the Fugees Academy’s mission, goals, and standards, overseeing implementation of the instructional program to ensure that all students have access to rigorous and relevant learning experiences;
- Performing other duties as needed.
Qualifications & Experience
The ideal candidate...
- Has coaching experience, preferably soccer (minimum 1 year);
- Has some teaching and educational leadership experience in a middle and/or high school setting (minimum 3 years);
- Has a track record of success working in challenging and/or non-traditional environments;
- Is passionate about serving as a cultural broker for students and their families as they acclimate to their new homes in the U.S.
- Preference is given to individuals with refugee/immigrant community experience.
Location: Cleveland, OH (with training in Columbus, OH for the 2018-19 school year).
Start Date: January 2019
The Fugees Academy is an equal opportunity employer. The Academy is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from those with refugee and/or immigrant backgrounds, women, and minorities.
A comprehensive health and dental package is included.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If this sounds like a challenge you would love to take on, please get in touch via email: email@example.com. Send us a one-pager detailing the questions you would prioritize during a shadowing/training process. Please attach a cover letter and your resume as well. Applicants selected to move on to the next round will receive follow-up questions via email. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Email is the preferred mode of communication – no phone calls, please.