250 University Avenue
Jeff Skoll established the Skoll Foundation in 1999 to drive large-scale change by connecting, celebrating, and investing in social entrepreneurs and the innovators who help them solve the world’s most pressing problems. Social entrepreneurs are society’s change agents—creators of innovations that disrupt the status quo and transform our world for the better. By identifying the people and programs already enacting positive change throughout the world, the Foundation supports them to extend their reach, deepen their impact, and fundamentally improve society.
Guided by the power of a story well-told, the Skoll Foundation believes that leveraging communications as important change agents can help achieve Jeff Skoll’s vision for a sustainable world built on peace and prosperity.
Reporting to the Director of Public Engagement and Communications, the Manager will have primary responsibility for implementing the Foundation’s on- and offline engagement, marketing, and communications strategy, including developing, packaging, distributing, and amplifying thought leadership, data/evidence, and stories in order to reach, engage, and help catalyze influencer support of the Foundation’s grantees—social entrepreneurs driving systems change. The Manager—along with other Public Engagement and Communications team members--will serve as a “credible champion” for social entrepreneurs and their solutions.
This role requires dextrous development of digital campaigns, including excellent writing/editorial, curatorial, and analytic skills and knowledge of the social change sector. The Manager will have a deep understanding of and facility with developing quantitative and qualitative analytics systems to measure the reach and impact of the Foundation’s digital strategies on target audiences.
The Manager will have fingers on the pulse of the latest global developments, trends, ideas, influencers, and stories related to social entrepreneurs changing unjust systems for the better. S/he will work across teams in a highly integrated and coordinated way to identify and pursue social entrepreneurship-related thought leadership opportunities for staff and strategic partners. The Manager will work directly with social entrepreneurs seeking to develop their marketing and communications plans to leverage the power of content, audience engagement, and press and social media to help accelerate their impact.
Given the twin challenges that information consumers everywhere face—information overload on the one hand and echo chambers on the other—the Manager will work across teams to hone an innovative, impact-generating, and dynamic on- and offline platform that engages and offers unique value to target audiences in sparking learning, ideas, debate, uptake, and action that supports social entrepreneurs and their systems-changing solutions.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
I. Shape and Implement Marketing, Communications, and Public Engagement Strategy:
· Work with the Director to evolve, manage, and execute the Foundation’s online and offline marketing and influencer engagement plan, including helping to build out the Foundation’s marketing and measurement system. Support Director in tracking progress against the plan.
· Design and implement strategic, impactful on-and offline campaigns in close collaboration with social entrepreneurs, partners, and the media. Analyze and report meaningful campaign metrics and qualitative outcomes, sharing learnings for continuous experimentation, iteration, and innovation of tools and approaches to track outputs and outcomes against objectives.
· Work closely with and integrate across teams to identify opportunities for social entrepreneurship-related thought leadership from a range of contributors in the wider Skoll community. Support Director in media outreach, media partnerships, and convenings with stakeholders across the media ecosystem. Manage and coordinate media partner relationships and provide ongoing grant assistance and project management.
· Develop, manage, and populate systems and tools for improved information-sharing and internal communications across the Foundation, including cross-team meetings, organization-wide intranet, and marketing tracking and reporting in Salesforce.
II. Drive Digital Marketing Strategy:
· Manage the Foundation’s editorial/campaign calendars, leveraging social entrepreneurs’ and partners news and milestones as well as developments in the field of social entrepreneurship and the issue areas in which Skoll social entrepreneurs work.
· Support continued evolution of skoll.org platform and optimize it to engage target audiences, including social entrepreneurs—and supporting them with information and network resources, and acquiring new influential audiences across sectors.
· Develop, implement, and continue to refine the Foundation’s public engagement strategy, including leveraging robust marketing platform tools for news tracking; social media listening and measurement; and editorial/campaigns management.
· Guide the social media campaigns strategy in creating digital campaigns and content that reinforces offline convenings/events. Ensure a continuous loop of piloting, testing, refining, and measuring.
· Engage with social entrepreneurs and strategic partners to help them amplify their solutions to some of the world’s most pressing problems, highlighting their evidence of impact and learning. Build and manage social entrepreneur assets including online profiles, articles, and graphics. Source updates, impact data, photos/videos, etc.
III. Manage Marketing and Communications Activities:
· Lead team’s day-to-day target audience marketing activities, providing guidance to a Social Media Campaigns Specialist, a Writer/Editor, and a Graphic Designer in the creation of a range of compelling collateral: website design and content, graphics, printed programs, backgrounders, presentations, publications, invitations, newsletters, social media copy, etc.
· Continue to improve the infrastructure for and implement a multimedia broadcast, communications, and engagement strategy for the annual Skoll World Forum in Oxford and other tentpole events, including TEDxSkoll and We The Future at UN General Assembly Week.
· Manage and execute comprehensive digital strategy for the Skoll World Forum with livestreams, a robust social media presence, real-time sharegraphics, meaningful session coverage, a website takeover, press kits, and daily highlight e-newsletters—with the goal of reaching new and influential audiences and engaging and activating target audiences, while measuring the returns on the investments made. Manage curation and invitation lists for media and other influencer audiences across all offline convenings/events.
· Work with Graphic Designer to create presentations, graphics, and event collateral; provide messaging and visual guidance to Video Producer.
· Provide editorial review to ensure value-add, timeliness, and consistency across content.
Qualifications and Abilities
· Excellent communication, organization, and project management skills, including:
ü Superb writing-to-audience, editing (substantive and copyediting), interviewing, and curating. Demonstrated ability to write compelling, engaging content.
ü Ability to synthesize complex concepts and convey them in simple, meaningful, accessible language for summaries, headlines, and share-worthy copy.
ü Deep hands-on experience identifying, segmenting, and targeting audiences and executing audience engagement and activation strategies, from online campaigns to offline convenings.
ü Ability to juggle multiple deadlines, stakeholder requests, and day-to-day operations.
ü Demonstrated ability to plan schedules and resources to meet future requirements.
· Technical/design skills, including:
ü Website content management system (CMS) skills (WordPress, etc).
ü Media metrics and analysis skills.
ü Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications. Working knowledge of design software (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) a bonus.
· A “can do”, “roll up your sleeves” attitude and client-service approach to working with Foundation staff, social entrepreneurs, and partner communities.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and sound judgment. A real team player and a creative thinker, able to work independently to meet objectives and to collaborate effectively with staff and external partners.
· Demonstrated ability to take initiative and think innovatively and strategically.
· Quick thinker and doer: Ability to assess, react, and adapt quickly, solve problems and leverage opportunities to meet tight deadlines.
· Demonstrated ability to work sensitively and effectively with diverse people and communities across geographies, sectors, and perspectives.
· A deep passion for social change and entrepreneurship and the Foundation’s mission.
· Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
· High standards, deep integrity, humility, a sense of humor, and a strong teamwork ethic that drives collective success.
Education and Experience
· Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a digital marketing/communications role, working on corporate communications/marketing, digital platform strategy, community engagement, media outreach/PR, social media, and design/graphics.
· Bachelor’s degree and/or advanced degree in Marketing/Communications or related field preferred.
· Demonstrated experience engaging and building relationships and partnerships with influencers, including global media.
· Demonstrated experience working with subject-matter experts and thought leaders.
· International experience in the social change sector (social entrepreneurship, social innovation, social enterprise/impact investing).
· Impeccable English reading, speaking, and writing skills. Competency in other languages, including Spanish, French, Arabic, or Chinese, is highly desirable.
Full benefits: health insurance, 11 paid holidays, minimum 21 PTO days, 403b with matching, and a yearly Caltrain pass
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
The Skoll Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Candidates should send resume, cover letter, and professional, candidate-authored work samples (campaign strategy briefs, published writing, etc.) to email@example.com. Applications will be considered immediately. A timed writing/presentation exercise will be given to finalist candidates.