Details: $25.00 P/H
357 9th Street
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Prospect Park YMCA is seeking a S.T.E.A.M. Instructor who will conduct and lead classes that are educational, instructional, dynamic and safe for children ages 3-10.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming and respectful environment that emphasizes teamwork and cooperation.
- Serve as positive role model for participants.
- Present activities and projects based in the area of S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics) in an interesting, engaging, age appropriate and effective manner.
- Teach participants the fundamentals of S.T.E.A.M., including activities that build their level of skill and confidence.
- Develop a weekly curriculum and lessons plans including materials needed for each week.
- Provide supervisor with lesson plans as requested.
- Create and maintain a strength-based approach for learning.
- Maintain inventory of science and arts materials and communicate with the Director as needed for additional supplies in an organized and timely manner.
- Meet and relate with students, teachers and parents in a friendly helpful way.
- Give individual attention to class participants and demonstrate modifications.
- Take attendance each week for class and communicate any changes in the roster as needed.
- Maintain high enrollment and help in outreach for classes each session.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication.
- Meet YMCA’s standards and guidelines.
- Attend all required workshops, trainings and YMCA required meetings.
- Actively participate in designated meetings, training sessions and special events.
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood, Science, Art, or related field.
- Minimum of one year of experience working with children ages 3-10.
- Knowledge of youth development stages.
- Excellent verbal communication skills with members of all ages.
- Current First Aid / CPR certifications.
- Must receive Child Abuse Training certificate within 30 days of start date.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please send your cover letter and resume with subject line “S.T.E.A.M. Instructor” to or to:
Prospect Park YMCA
Attn.: Leah Krieble
357 Ninth Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD.