New York Cares
Every year, through New York Cares, 64,000 people volunteer to help improve the lives of hundreds of thousands of fellow New Yorkers. Our volunteers provide essential services to improve education, meet immediate needs, and revitalize the city’s public spaces.
New York Cares prides itself on a culture of excellence, defined by integrity, reliability and professionalism. We have been awarded The New York Times Nonprofit Excellence Award, which recognizes outstanding management practices, and the Peter F. Drucker Award for Nonprofit Innovation. The NonProfit Times, Crain’s New York, The Princeton Review and The Wall Street Journal have all recognized New York Cares as a top-notch employer.
Reporting to the Officer, Vulnerable Populations and Financial Security, this position leads New York Cares’ efforts to enlist and direct thousands of volunteers each year in corporate service events and year-round, volunteer-led projects that facilitate socialization for senior citizens, adults, and other vulnerable populations across the five boroughs including recreation, fitness, and cognitive health based programs. The Program Manager role has three key accountability streams:
(1) Program and Project Management and Evaluation: Develop and implement high-quality volunteer programs and projects (individual instances of programs) for individuals and groups of volunteers from corporations and other organizations to make a measurable impact on our community partners and their clients;
(2) Relationship Management: Cultivate and maintain collaborative partnerships with partner agencies, primarily Senior Centers, Nursing Homes, Hospitals, Assisted Living Facilities, and Community Centers to maximize community and partner impact; and
(3) Volunteer Management: Support volunteer team leaders and volunteers throughout their engagement with New York Cares to ensure a meaningful experience.
The Program Manager directly manages a portfolio of 70 programs. This includes soliciting partner and community need, designing curricula to address that need, ensuring successful execution of program design, and collecting and evaluating data to track performance and improve service delivery.
Volunteer projects, trainings, and events occasionally take place during non-business hours, requiring the Program Manager to work several evenings and multiple weekend days per year.
The successful candidate will:
· Manage the design, implementation, and evaluation of a portfolio of senior care and health and wellness programs
· Oversee all aspects of project planning and execution, including community outreach, partner and volunteer team leader engagement, budgeting and expense management, capacity planning, staffing, training, site visits, project evaluation, and new project development
· Staffing volunteer projects for corporate volunteer groups
· Recruit, support, and train volunteer project leaders
· Manage multiple project budgets
· Cultivate and maintain relationships with key partner agencies and corporate sponsors
- Conduct community outreach to identify new partner agencies for specific program areas
· Other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or minimum of two years’ work experience at a not-for-profit organization;
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, with an ability to multi-task;
- Exceptional systems thinking and problem solving skills;
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team;
- Familiarity with vulnerable populations in New York; and
- Capable of lifting/carrying supplies and equipment weight up to 35 pounds for events
Starting salary ranges from the mid- to high- $30ks. We provide excellent benefits including comprehensive health insurance, 403(b) employer matching contributions, life insurance, and ample paid time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title of the position in the subject line. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Peace Corps & AmeriCorps alumni are encouraged to apply.