Details: Competitive compensation package, commensurate with the candidate's relevant professional experience
EG Justice is seeking an Operations Communications and Outreach Associate (OCO), to join our dynamic and committed team. This individual will work closely with the Executive Director and the Programs Associate to advise on, maintain, and execute EG Justice’s outreach and operational policies and processes. S/he will also work with our team to plan and execute strategic, impactful, and comprehensive communications strategies that support and extend EG Justice’s political influence, media coverage and digital reach.
About EG Justice
We’re a small, non-hierarchical, high-performing team leading the efforts to end impunity for human rights violations and kleptocracy in Equatorial Guinea, a small Spanish-speaking country in West Central Africa. We believe that all Equatoguineans have the right to participate fully in electing a government that represents them, and, when necessary holding officials accountable for human rights violations, corruption, and abuse of power. We promote civic participation toward more democratic and good government through a combination of research, in-country engagement, and global legal and policy advocacy.
Established in 2008, EG Justice is entering a crucial period in our development as we anticipate a change of government in the near future, as well as important judicial resolutions on cases affecting Equatoguinean government officials. The ideal candidate will be inspired by the potential create real change in this country.
The Operations, Communications & Outreach Associate, ideally based in the Research Triangle area of North Carolina, and reporting to the Executive Director, is responsible for the following:
● Developing and implementing EG Justice’s communications plans. This includes keeping the diaspora community up to date on our activities, developing strategic messaging to reach target audiences, developing and maintaining relationships with key press contacts and producing effective press materials.
● Basic website management including content production and liaising with IT support service providers.
● Social media management including content production and audience engagement for EG Justice’s Twitter and Facebook accounts.
● Preparing and coordinating content for press releases, newsletters, and presentations; editing and coordinating correspondence and reports to donors, media, and other key stakeholders.
● Conducting basic bookkeeping duties, including QuickBooks entry and record-keeping, as well as managing accounts payable and receivable,
● Assisting in the maintenance of EG Justice’s payroll systems and benefits programs.
● Supporting all internal office management functions; especially, the annual budget development as well as year-round budget tracking, management and reporting.
● Assisting in grant management and reporting duties.
● Providing administrative and operational support to staff and partners, including by coordinating schedules, meetings, travel, and events.
● Overseeing occasional consultants, and providing assistance to EG Justice’s in-country partners.
Working at EG Justice requires collaboration with partners based in Equatorial Guinea and the diaspora, as well as a wide array of international NGOs. Basic understanding of international relations and cross-cultural sensitivity are therefore core competencies.
Our team has an exciting range of responsibilities: from high-level advocacy and strategic planning to online communications to logistics issues; everyone contributes. The ideal candidate should be open to developing new skills in this job and should expect to learn and adapt constantly.
We are interested in finding a highly motivated individual with a proactive work style and excellent organizational skills and entrepreneurial energy. This is a unique opportunity to dive into the field of international human rights and have a direct impact on the lives of Equatoguineans in-country and around the world who have been fighting for years to bring justice and democracy to their home.
The ideal candidate has:
· Excellent oral and written English and Spanish language skills (non-negotiable).
· Excellent interpersonal communications skills.
· One to three years of professional experience in non profit financial/program management and/or communications with an NGO.
· Demonstrated knowledge of basic nonprofit bookkeeping duties and accounting principles. Quickbooks expertise preferred.
· Demonstrated attention to detail, critical thinking, and problem solving.
· Experience with social media and website management.
The following factors will strengthen an applicant’s candidacy:
● A Master’s degree in management, communication, human rights, Africa studies or a related field.
● Demonstrated ability to thrive in a complex operating environment, taking ownership of multiple work streams concurrently.
● Experience in grant management and reporting.
● Proven ability to work independently and effectively with minimal bureaucratic safety nets or backstopping.
● Interest in human rights, anti-corruption, rule of law, Africa, and commitment to non-violent democracy-promoting solutions.
100% of health insurance premiums of all full-time employees.
Generous holiday and sick time
Level of Language Proficiency
Oral and written fluency in English and Spanish required
Minimum Education Required