Details: $30 per hour for approximately 25 hours per week
Books For Kids is a New York City-based non-profit organization. The mission of the Books For Kids Foundation is to promote literacy among all children with a special emphasis on under-served preschool-aged children. Books For Kids creates libraries, donates books, and implements literacy programs to help young children develop the critical early foundation and skills they need to be successful in life.
Position: Part-Time Pre-K Library/Literacy Specialist
Location: Two pre-schools in Las Vegas and one pre-school in Spring Valley
• Implement and lead literacy and social emotional learning programs (StoryTime, Lending, Build-A-Home Library) in pre-schools by reading aloud to children and incorporating book talks, developmentally appropriate questions, music, rhymes, songs, dances, and body movements into library sessions
• Make book recommendations for library collections and distribute books and literacy resources to students, teachers, and families
• Collaborate with directors and teachers to align StoryTimes with classroom lessons and themes
• Design and facilitate parent/family events and attend school and community-sponsored events
• Compile, track and update program data using Google Sheets, on a weekly basis
• Consistently capture share-worthy library moments via pictures and stories/write-ups
• Maintain, organize, inventory, and decorate libraries
• Research and keep current on studies and trends in children's literature, emergent literacy, early education, developmentally appropriate practices, and diversity and inclusion in children's books
• Participate in organizational and external professional development opportunities, including webinars and podcasts
• Support the Program Director with additional projects and organization initiatives
The ideal Library Specialist has:
- A B.A. degree, preferably in literacy, education or the performing arts
- Relevant experience working directly with children in literacy-focused early education settings such as pre-schools, children’s programs, and/or children’s arts and theater
- A lifelong love of reading
- Strong interest in and knowledge of children's literature and performance artistry
- A deep appreciation and respect for fun and the sheer joy of learning
- Knowledge, skills and abilities relating to cultural competency, diversity and equality
- A collaborative spirit and impeccable communication and organizational skills
- The ability to work remotely and dynamically within a growing organization
- The core qualities of flexibility and self-reflection
- A fabulous sense of humor and a face that lights up when around young children
This is a wonderful opportunity for teachers (current and retired), graduate students, children's theater and performance artists, and/or family members of children in the community who love to read and want to share that love with young readers.
Our programs run on school schedules, typically from 8:30am – 12:30pm and 1:30pm – 5:30pm, Mondays to Fridays during the school year, with one of the schools staying open during the summer. This is a part-time position. During the school year, this project will require at least three days per week at the pre-schools, with additional administrative work done remotely from home. The schedule will be determined in consultation with our Program Director, who supervises this position from New York.
We are looking for a colleague who can commit to at least two years with our organization. As with many grant-funded roles, contingent upon funding, we hope there will be an opportunity to extend the work beyond the next two years.
N/A, not applicable, as this is a part-time position
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish (preferred)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please place Las Vegas Library Specialist in the subject line and send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. We are looking to make this hire ASAP.
Many thanks and best of luck to all.
The Books for Kids Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.