Details: Competitive NGO salary, annual discretionary bonus
Job purpose and background:
CDP North America, Inc. is seeking a motivated and talented individual with proven self-starter skills to join the North America Investor Initiatives team as a data program analyst in New York.
The successful candidate will join a growing team of committed professionals working to embed ESG integration into mainstream financial analysis and investment processes. In addition to the responsibilities below, a focus of the role will be to enhance usability and data visualization of CDP data products and services to strengthen CDP’s position as a premium data service provider. The Data Program Analyst will report to CDP's Head of Investor Initiatives North America with a dotted-line to CDP’s Associate Director, Data and will work integrally with the global Investor Initiatives team.
CDP is an international non-profit that drives companies and governments to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Voted number one climate research provider by investors and working with over 800 institutional investors with assets of US$87 trillion, we leverage investor and buyer power to motivate companies to disclose and manage their environmental impacts. Over 6,300 companies with some 55% of global market capitalization disclosed environmental data through CDP in 2017. This is in addition to the over 500 cities and 100 states and regions who disclosed, making CDP’s platform one of the richest sources of information globally on how companies and governments are driving environmental change. CDP, formerly Carbon Disclosure Project, is a founding member of the We Mean Business Coalition. Please visit www.cdp.net or follow us on twitter @CDP to find out more.
Key responsibilities include:
- Serve as project lead for CDP Commercial Data Program and Capital Markets Insights;
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to identify commercial opportunities using the broader CDP dataset;
- Contribute to commercial data strategy for CDP environmental data across Climate Change, Deforestation, Water Security and Municipal/States disclosure programs;
- Develop and deliver bespoke data sets for capital markets participants including data service companies, financial institutions, credit rating agencies, etc.;
- Facilitate the internal and external accessibility, usability and analysis of CDP’s data;
- Determine optimal data delivery methods and formats and support in the operationalization of identified requirements;
- Extract data from CDP’s data warehouse and organize for external consumption; present CDP data and analytics to various stakeholders in the investment community;
- Analyze response data from CDP respondents to identify trends and work with internal stakeholders to capitalize upon findings;
- Develop and maintain guidance documents and data dictionaries for CDP data sets;
- Ensure thorough documentation of all work, including coordination of externally-facing documents or reports;
- Engage with capital market participants to build awareness of CDP data and demonstrate value-add insights from data;
- Serve as primary point-of-contact for external stakeholder enquiries around these topics.
The precise description and nature of your job may be varied from time to time, and you may be required to carry out other duties as necessary to meet business needs.
Required skills and experience:
- Comfortable liaising with contacts in senior positions across the capital markets;
- A desire to take ownership and responsibility for their work;
- Experience in working with large and complex databases for data analysis;
- Deep understanding of approaches for data cleaning and modelling;
- Capability in drawing new insights from data and packaging findings into useful and understandable representations;
- Skilled use of the Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel (preferably including VBA);
- Proven experience querying databases with SQL (t-SQL and related BI skills preferred);
- Strong problem-solving skills;
- Self-starter able to work independently as well as in collaboration with the wider team;
- Ability to document work to a high standard, maintain documentation, write reports and establish procedures;
- Highly numerate; and
- Great attention to detail.
Desirable skills and experience:
- A passion for integrating ESG issues into the mainstream investment process;
- Experience in data visualization tools;
- Proficiency in R or Python;
- Experience in research and writing reports;
- Practice in scenario modeling with acquaintance with existing low-carbon scenarios, particularly how they relate to and impact sub-national actors.
The Data Program Analyst position is a full-time role based in CDP’s New York office in Manhattan.
Excellent health & dental benefits, non-contributory 401k (additional contributory 401k amount optional), 24 days’ vacation annually.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in the US.
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities, which should be no more than two pages, to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Data Program Analyst (II)’ in the subject. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.