Details: Competitive, based on experience
557 McReynolds Rd
The Discovery School at the Bay Area Discovery Museum (BADM) is a research-based preschool that builds children’s creative problem-solving through child directed projects and guided play. The school is affiliated with BADM’s research division, the Center for Childhood Creativity (CCC). Our program is the first licensed preschool housed within a museum in California, and we are fortunate to offer a low student to teacher ratio, an incredibly warm parent community, and opportunities to collaborate with both BADM and CCC staff. In addition, we are located in a beautiful natural setting looking out over San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge.
The Discovery School is currently seeking an inspired and experienced Toddler & Parent Exploration Teacher to work as a member of the teaching team toward the goal of positioning the school as a nationally-recognized laboratory for the study of creative preschool education. This teacher will provide Reggio inspired learning experiences for toddlers and families enrolled in a weekly 2-hour program. We looking for a teacher whose approach stems from an innate love and respect for children, learning, and the natural world. We favor applicants who have knowledge of child development and experience with emergent and reflective practices. This is a part-time, non-exempt, non-benefits eligible position reporting to the Interim Head of School. The Toddler & Parent Exploration classes will run on Monday and Friday mornings.
- Plan and prepare Reggio inspired provocations and guided play activities
- Lead transitions and circle time
- Ensure the safety and wellbeing of all children enrolled in the program at all times
- Maintain relationships with individual parents to support their child’s development and learning and meaningfully engage all families in the classroom
- Ensure proper maintenance and cleanliness of classroom and supplies
- Prepare and organize supplies, including snack
- BA, BS, or MA preferred; Degree in education, early childhood education, child development or relevant field strongly preferred
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a preschool teacher preferred; additional experience a plus
- Completed ECE units for licensure desired
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills required; prior experience and demonstrated skill with parent communication required
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and troubleshoot in a fast paced work environment a must
- Must be trained or commit to being trained in First Aid, CPR and AED for adult, infant and child
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to use computer equipment required (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point)
- Must work well with a variety of people from various backgrounds and cultures
- Knowledge of child development, developmentally appropriate practices, and project based learning
- Flexible, good-humored, team player
- Ability to move from place to place, work outdoors, bend and lift and carry up to 35 pounds short distances
- LiveScan and criminal record clearance through DOJ Child Abuse Index
- Proof of absence of tuberculosis (TB) required before starting employment
The Bay Area Discovery Museum offers a high-energy, results-oriented, creative and fun environment where all staff members contribute to creating an innovative environment that helps us achieve our mission. BADM provides 100% employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance to all full-time employees, as well as generous paid time off starting at 4 weeks per year. In addition, we offer the knowledge that your skills impact over 300,000 Museum visitors each year onsite and many more in the community through the Museum’s Center for Childhood Creativity.
The Bay Area Discovery Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should apply online at: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=BADM
Applicants should be prepared to provide both a resume and cover letter. Please attach your cover letter in step 2 of the online application process when prompted to attach other documents.
NOTE TO CANDIDATE
Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position.