171 West 85th Street
DOROT, which means “generations”, is dedicated to alleviating social isolation among the elderly and helping them live independently as valued members of the community. Since DOROT’s inception in 1976 we have been a leader in creating innovative programs that foster mutually beneficial connections between seniors and volunteers. Compassionate care and a commitment to excellence are hallmarks of our programs and staff.
About the Volunteer Services Department: Volunteers are central at DOROT. As a certified service enterprise, DOROT leverages volunteers and their skills across all levels of the organization to successfully deliver on our social mission. Each year, we mobilize 7000+ volunteers of all ages through a wide array of programs conducted on-site, in the home, and in the community. Through personal contact with seniors, our volunteers help deliver vital services and forge bonds between the generations.
Position Description Summary
The Coordinator leads DOROT’s Service Enterprise initiative to expand our volunteer engagement and serve more seniors. S/he is responsible for developing programs to engage older adult volunteers and pro bono professionals looking to donate their skills. The Coordinator will also develop a corps of volunteer ambassadors to represent DOROT in the community; oversee corporate volunteer engagement; and help facilitate DOROT’s signature Thanksgiving program which provides companionship and a holiday meal to hundreds of seniors.
The ideal candidate is passionate about the mutually-beneficial impact of volunteerism on both the client and volunteer. This position involves opportunities for creativity in developing and starting new volunteer programs, and forging active, visible, and direct relationships with volunteers to sustain and build our volunteer base.
DOROT’s Service Enterprise Volunteer Initiative is made possible by a grant from UJA-Federation of New York.
Areas of Responsibility:
· Recruit, train, place, and supervise volunteers throughout the agency.
· Spearhead new volunteer opportunities for older adults.
· Identify and promote opportunities for volunteers to use professional skills to support DOROT’s work.
· Cultivate experienced and new DOROT volunteers to undertake leadership roles as mentors, trainers, and ambassadors.
· Define and implement strategies to encourage ongoing engagement of adult volunteers who come to DOROT for one-time volunteer events.
· Coordinate Knitting Group and Meal-A-Month volunteer programs.
· Help oversee DOROT’s Thanksgiving Program with other Volunteer Services Staff.
· Recruit and organize group volunteers for DOROT’s Package Delivery and visiting programs.
· Design and manage projects for corporate volunteer groups.
· Present information about DOROT and volunteer opportunities at community events and meetings in the Metro NYC area to attract potential volunteers.
· Assist in preparing grant reports and marketing material.
· Collect, track, and maintain information using DOROT’s online database (Salesforce); this involves routine data entry and monthly review of statistics for both internal reports and trend analysis.
· Work on special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Masters of Arts degree with 2-5 years of professional experience
- Demonstrated success with project management, volunteer management, and program development
- Excellent public speaking, presentation, and written communication skills
- Outstanding organizational and relationship-building skills
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and balance competing priorities
- Passion, warmth, and sensitivity for DOROT’s constituents and mission
- Comfort working with a wide variety of individuals; previous work with older adults a plus
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Availability to work occasional evening and weekend hours, including six Sundays for agency volunteer events
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite 2010
- Experience with Salesforce or another database program
Generous paid time off for holidays, vacation and sick leave, medical and dental insurance and opportunity for 403b plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required