Details: Commensurate with experience
2830 S. Central Ave.
A Place Called Home is looking for a dynamic, dedicated nonprofit professional to lead our finance team! Celebrating 25 years of service to the youth and families in South Central Los Angeles, APCH is at an exciting point in our development. This position will help lead us into the next phase of growth and expansion. The ideal candidate will have extensive nonprofit accounting and finance experience and the capacity for continued growth in this role and beyond within APCH.
Job Title: Finance Director
Reports to: Director of Operations
FLSA Status/Hours: Exempt
Salary Range: 70,000-80,000
The Finance Director is the leader of the accounting department and plays a critical role in the success of A Place Called Home (APCH). They oversee all financial functions at APCH and ensure the highest standards. This includes general accounting, grant tracking, internal audit, external tax and audit preparation functions, working with administrative leadership to plan and track organizational and program budgets and cost allocations, administering and maintaining employee payroll service, payroll records, wage/salary/benefit appropriation and documentation/reporting of cash and bank records. Additionally, this position involves general analysis to determine cash flow trends, explanations of variances, etc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee preparation of regular financial reports for administrative and board leadership (Monthly reports, fundraising event reports, capital budget reports).
- Design and ensure implementation of disciplines of internal audits, controls and checks across all departments to safeguard assets and assure accurate and timely recording of all transactions.
- Direct accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, banking and deposits, credits and collections, payroll, fixed assets records, general and entity accounting and cost accounting.
- In consultation with the Executive Director, Director of Operations and Chief Development Officer, drive the planning, creation and refinement of the annual Organizational Budget for approval by the Board of Directors.
- Approve and issue timely monthly financial reports for the use of the Executive Management Team (EMT).
- Track and report on financial transactions and progress in relation to board approved and Executive Director directed organizational goals as they relate to the agency’s financial status.
- Direct accounting staff in supporting the annual agency audit
- Develop financial pro formas for capital projects, grants and budget proposals.
- Oversee compilation of an accounting manual that is compliant with GAAP and used to inform day-to-day, month-to-month and annual responsibilities.
- Provide regular analysis of organization’s financial standing, trends, needs and performance; make presentations as requested and recommendations as needed to the EMT
- Identify areas for cost-savings and makes recommendations to the EMT; implement changes where possible
- Interface with outside audit firms, banks, lessors and lessees, insurance agent(s), credit card companies, debtors, and collection agencies, as required
- Advise Director of Operations on agency insurance limits, coverage and potential cost savings, including workers compensation, general liability and D&O coverage.
- Oversee APCH’s operating, reserve, capital and investment accounts; make recommendations
- Design and strive to continually improve accounting systems and functions
- Notify the Executive Director and Director of Operations immediately of any financial irregularity.
- Work with the Director of Operations to manage and limit organizational risk
- Remain informed of best practices and techniques with regard to accounting practices, both GAAP and non-profit-specific requirements
- Remain informed of requirements imposed by grantors and other funding sources including the federal government
- Adhere to the highest ethical standards
- Perform other tasks as assigned
- Degree: Bachelors degree in accounting or related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Knowledge of best practices in non-profit accounting and standards
- Minimum of 5 years managing accounting functions for a small business, preferably nonprofit organization
- Experience managing and developing staff
- Knowledge of GAAP for Not-for-Profit organizations
- Budgeting and finance for not-for-profit agency
- Financial Edge or similar database experience
- Collaborative Skills (ability to work with donors, staff and volunteers)
- Computer Skills (Advanced level of Microsoft Office including Excel)
- Must be deadline-driven and able to multi-task efficiently and accurately
- Excellent Oral and Written Communication
- Customer Service
- Time Management
- Ability to multi-task
- Dedicated to excellence
- Innovative and Creative
- Microsoft Office Skills
To perform this important job successfully, the Finance Director must be able to fulfill all of the elements of the Job Description to the highest standard, and be able to work well with colleagues in a high energy, collaborative environment with open communications. The ideal candidate will embrace the APCH culture of a learning organization and strive to constantly improve upon systems and services for the benefit of employees and our constituents; and will be demonstrably committed to his/her own ongoing personal and professional development. All employees are expected to contribute to ongoing growth and improvement in their departments via excellent job performance. Additionally, you are expected to speak up if you become aware of deficiencies and needs; and to offer solutions and make suggestions for improvements in your purview areas. Likewise, because each employee and each department is integral to the entire APCH community, we expect that as you focus on your area, you will also consider the big picture and the overall mission of the agency, and communicate with the appropriate individuals if/when you become aware of problems and/or have suggestions for ways and opportunities to make APCH stronger and better. Together, we can continue to take APCH to even higher levels of excellence and service to the community
Generous package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401K plan with employer match, Vacation, Sick, Holidays + paid winter break
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates, please email resume and cover letter to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include all documents as one pdf file and use “Finance Director” in the subject line.
(E-mail submissions only/No phone inquiries)
Responses will be sent only to individuals meeting the outlined requirements of the position.
Please let us know if you are an APCH Alumnus
Background screening required/Relevant skills assessment required during screening