The National Immigration Law Center (NILC) is exclusively dedicated to defending and advancing the rights and opportunities of low-income immigrants and their families. Our mission is grounded in the belief that every American — and aspiring American — should have the opportunity to fulfill their full potential regardless of their color, where they were born, or how much money they have. Using our deep expertise in litigation, policy, and communications, we address issues that affect the lives of low-income immigrants and work with communities across the nation in courtrooms and legislatures to help advance policies that create a more inclusive, just, and equitable society for everyone.
Join our dedicated, collaborative, and fun team as we fight to defend and advance the ideals that our nation is founded on!
NILC is seeking an Administrative Operations Manager (AOM) to join its Administration team, part of the organization’s Operations Department. The Administrative Operations Manager supervises administrative support staff in our Los Angeles and Washington, DC, offices and is also responsible for providing administrative support to other remote locations. This role maintains the office administration budget and ensures that staff have all they need on a day-to-day basis to do their part in supporting the organization’s mission. The Administrative Operations Manager is also responsible for managing overall office safety plans and serves as the primary liaison to vendors and building management.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Provides management direction to administrative support staff in NILC’s L.A. and D.C. offices and ensures adequate administrative support is provided to remote employees. Manages and implements the NILC Administration Manual. Responsible for coordinating administrative support for major events sponsored or organized and run by NILC, including conferences, retreats, seminars, etc.
- Works with Human Resources and other staff to develop and implement effective onboarding procedures for all new employees — including technology and desk setup. Provides office technology and desktop support assistance by directly troubleshooting issues and/or coordinating with IT consultants.
- Works with Finance Department and D.C. Office Coordinator to inform development of L.A. and D.C. office budgets, make purchasing decisions, and monitor expenses. Manages vendor relations, ensuring contracts for services are up-to-date and all contractual obligations are being met by the vendors. Processes credit card purchases, maintains credit/debit card receipt log, and reconciles invoices at month’s end.
- Acts as primary contact for L.A. and D.C. office building management. This includes negotiating agreements, reporting any building-related issues to the building management contact, and serving as point of contact for emergencies. Using organization security protocol, this position is responsible for overseeing office security at all NILC locations and ensuring that processes and procedures are in place.
- Maintains clear and streamlined internal office systems and procedures, including day-to-day office activities such as picking up and distributing mail, faxes, and voicemails; maintenance of office files; maintaining office supplies inventory; and monitoring incoming telephone calls.
- Manages gathering of agenda information for monthly all-staff meeting and takes monthly meeting minutes.
- Minimum associate’s degree or equivalent work experience required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least three (3) years’ experience in office management or related senior level administrative support capacity required.
- Experience in nonprofit environment preferred but not required.
- Motivated self-starter, able and willing to learn and test new technology. Strong desire and ability to train staff to use technology. Previous experience with telecommunications training (e.g., RingCentral) and cloud document-managing services (e.g., NetDocs, Sharepoint, OneDrive) a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to take on administrative projects successfully from start to finish.
- Demonstrated organizational ability, strong analytical skills, and problem-solving experience required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to recognize sensitive material and maintain high degree of confidentiality.
- Ability to lift heavy objects (up to 30 lbs.) may be required at times. Position sometimes requires long periods of standing, sitting, or walking.
- Must have some form of reliable transportation to conduct office errands as necessary.
NILC is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. NILC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, citizenship status, ethnic background, religion, political orientation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or any other protected class. We consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative.
Excellent benefits and compensation package. Benefits include paid time off, health, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, and 403(b) plan, and more!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. Please send a detailed cover letter explaining your connection to NILC’s mission and why you are the ideal candidate for this position, as well as your resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use AOM0518 as the subject line for your email message. PDF format preferred.
Please do not send duplicate materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You must have all materials requested and follow instructions provided above to be considered. No phone calls, please.