World Learning Inc., is a nonprofit organization working to empower people, communities and strengthen institutions around the world through education, sustainable development, and exchange programs. Our mission is to create the change necessary for a more equal, prosperous, and peaceful world.
The writer/editor is a vital part of a small, dynamic creative team working to document the impact of World Learning’s many programs around the world, tell the stories of those who have benefited from its work and market its custom products. The writer/editor will produce regular stories and content consistent with journalistic standards, including news, magazine, and blog pieces for World Learning’s web platforms, as well as external news outlets. The writer/editor will also regularly produce and update content for World Learning websites, the annual report, and catalogues and other print material, and provide editorial support to advance the work of internal clients including the development, exchange, youth, education and advocacy teams. This position reports to the Communications Manager and is based in Washington, DC.
The ideal candidate will have the skills of a professional journalist, the passion of a humanitarian, and the drive of an entrepreneur. They must be professional, mature, and creative.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist the MARCOM team in telling World Learning Inc.’s story — including the individual stories of our three brands, World Learning, The Experiment in International Living, and School for International Training — to multiple audiences on multiple platforms.
• Assist in developing boilerplate language for World Learning Inc. brands across all platforms and create core products – such as values statements and theories of change – to articulate what we do and how we do it.
• Create content and provide editorial support for a variety of materials including original reporting, news and feature stories, success and impact stories, blogs, web pages, social media campaigns, and other materials as needed.
• Assist MARCOM colleagues with photography for marketing and communications products including blog stories and program catalogs.
• Create and maintain an editorial calendar for World Learning’s blog, coordinating with program teams and other departments to ensure a diverse array of stories that meet overall organizational needs.
• Coordinate with MARCOM colleagues to assign blog stories as needed.
• Cultivate new contributing writers from teams across the organization, providing thoughtful guidance and feedback to aid in their professional development.
• Proofread and fact check print and digital communications products including marketing publications, website text, internal and external communications, and other content as it is developed with the goal of ensuring accuracy, clarity, grammatical correctness, and a high level of quality and consistency for both internal and external audiences.
• Write compelling content and project-manage the editorial process for the institution’s annual Impact Report, coordinating with senior leadership across departments to assign stories, set deadlines, and ensure smooth copy flow between writers, editors, and designers.
• Ensure final copy of all material is concise, consistent, factual, and compelling.
• Collaborate with MARCOM colleagues to produce strategic communications plans for World Learning Inc. events and programs.
• Manage multiple projects to meet scheduled deadlines.
• Perform other duties relevant to position as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in Journalism, Communications, or related discipline.
• 3 + years of professional writing and editorial experience, including reporting, editing, proofreading, writing for the web and social media. Experience in editing and proofreading print and online content.
• Keen understanding of journalism industry and intuitive understanding of news and feature writing.
• Innovative, creative approach to content creation. A storyteller at heart.
• Experience writing for international audiences, with a keen understanding of development and diplomacy issues.
• Meaningful personal international or intercultural experiences a plus.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above. Talented new graduates with real-world experience through internships or fellowships will be considered.
• Other (KSAs):
• A love for writing and an ability to write compelling narratives that leave audiences wanting more.
• Understanding of different writing styles: news, magazine, digital, corporate, etc.
• Demonstrated ability to write and edit effectively for youth, adult influencers, educators, corporations, government agencies, and international development professionals.
• Proven ability to produce print-worthy copy for every assignment.
• Demonstrated ability to write creative headlines and tease copy.
• Excellent overall written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to manage workflow involving multiple projects and deadlines.
• Ability to work collaboratively in a creative team environment.
• Ability to write on deadline. Exceptional attention to detail.
• Sense of adventure and ability to deliver while traveling in less developed countries.
• Passionate about advocacy and humanitarian journalism.
• Experience working in an international news environment a plus.
• Strong interest in development, social and economic justice, and education.
• International and intercultural awareness and experience.
• Proficiency in major Microsoft Office applications and advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word.
• Ability to read, speak, and write fluently in English.
• Must have strong working knowledge of Chicago Style editing. Knowledge of AP style editing is preferred.
• Must be able to quickly learn and enforce World Learning style rules.
World Learning Inc., is a nonprofit organization working to empower people, communities and strengthen institutions around the world through education, sustainable development, and exchange programs. Our mission is to create the change…