1900 L St NW
Founded in 1976, the Fulbright Association (FA) is the official alumni association of the Fulbright Scholarship Program in the United States with a mission of advocating for the Program and promoting international education. Fulbright students and scholars travel to 165 countries to teach, research, and engage in ways that promote peace and understanding. Returning scholars, other alumni and friends join the FA to support international educational programs and personal diplomacy: community outreach, events sponsored by 52 chapters nationwide, an annual conference, “impact” travel, and efforts to promote Fulbrighters as a resource for international peace and other global challenges. The FA also awards the prestigious Fulbright Prize to world leaders such as Nelson Mandela, Corazon Aquino, Bill and Melinda Gates, and Jimmy Carter.
This year, the FA will focus on expanding advocacy efforts, working with chapters to share the Fulbright experience with communities nationwide, growing membership, piloting a networking portal for members, and developing an enriched digital presence in social media. The position of Senior Manager of Development will play a critical role in expanding fundraising efforts, particularly in major gift cultivation. The Executive Director and the Board of Directors are fully engaged in and supportive of these efforts.
The senior manager is a one-person, full-time staff position devoted exclusively to development, with the support of one intern and a data management consultant. She/he will report to and work daily with the Executive Director, collaborate closely with the Deputy Director, and work with the FA Board regularly. We seek applications from hard-working professionals who are enterprising, entrepreneurial and energetic.
- Drive the execution of the Association’s fundraising efforts, focused on major donor cultivation
- Provide in-depth research about prospects, examining engagement and financial potential
- Execute data management of donors and donations
- Provide fundraising strategic and tactical support to the Executive Director
- Communicate with donors as appropriate
- Create/update development materials and websites
- Plan/execute other activities as needed: annual fund drives, grant applications, and planned giving
- Work collaboratively with the Development Committee of the Board of Directors
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- At least four years of progressive individual giving experience, including solicitation of donors for gifts of $10,000 or more, with measurable results
- Experience with donor research and analysis, as well as a practiced understanding of strategies for donor cultivation
- Strong project management skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects and relationships, effectively driving campaign forward, with a resulting record of success
- Excellent technical and database skills, preferably using fundraising and membership software
- Strong internal and external communication skills to work effectively with and engage staff, the Board, and association members
- Bachelors degree or the equivalent.
- Experience with managing digital communication tools, such as social media and simple video production, to promote development efforts
- Experience in international relations or development, studying abroad, working or living internationally, or working with international audiences. We especially welcome alumni of the Fulbright Program
- Positive, enthusiastic, passion for the Fulbright mission, and values aligned with social innovation
- Maturity to personally interact with high-level donors and public figures
- Enthusiasm to build positive relationships and maintain them systematically
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and get the job done with limited resources
- Sensitivity, discretion, and a sense of humor
- Collaborative team player
Annual salary is commensurate with experience and skills, but expected between $55,000 to $65,000. Benefits include medical, dental and disability insurance, paid annual leave, and a matching retirement plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
All interested candidates should submit the following items in their application packets via email (email@example.com):
- 1-2 page Cover letter
- List of 3 References
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning immediately. This is a full-time position based in the FA Washington, DC office, to begin as soon as possible. The position requires occasional travel to visit donors and to special events as needed.