Stand.earth is hiring a full-time Grant Writer/Researcher to develop compelling content and conduct prospect research for an active portfolio of 100+ international foundations, which include some of the largest and most influential environmental funders in the world. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned grant writer who will thrive in a fast-paced, high-volume work environment and who will demonstrate an interest in and a talent for communicating about innovative, results-driven environmental campaigning. In addition to grant writing, we are looking for a candidate who will lead and steward the growth of prospect research to provide a steady stream of prospective funders for established and emerging campaigns.
The Grant Writer/Researcher will join a growing, industry-leading institutional giving team that is charged with raising more than $7M USD in foundation revenue annually, aiming to grow to $10M+ USD within the next two years. Stand.earth’s grants team consists of two Part-Time Grant Writers, a Development Assistant, Associate Director of Institutional Giving, and Director of Development, all of whom work in partnership with an Individual giving team and a dynamic group of environmental campaign strategists and program staff. If persuasive writing comes naturally to you; you enjoy sleuthing for prime funding suspects; and you have a deep-seated fear of boredom, then read on! This might be the perfect job for you. We encourage applicants to apply by January 31, 2021. This position is open until filled.
Stand.earth is a nonprofit environmental organization working to create a world where respect for people and the environment comes first. Our campaigns challenge destructive corporate and governmental practices, demand accountability, and create solutions that support all of us — and the environment and climate upon which we depend. Stand’s strategic approach and fierce determination have yielded extraordinary results: Since 2000, we’ve secured the protection of 65 million acres of wilderness, shifted billions of dollars of corporate purchasing toward responsible options, and transformed the environmental practices of more than 100 major U.S. corporations. Stand.earth operates in the United States and Canada.
Stand recognizes and respects the sovereignty of First Nations and tribes, as well as the rights of Indigenous Peoples and frontline communities. These communities are often first and most directly impacted by environmental pollution and climate change, and they provide critical leadership in developing solutions.
Pollution, climate change, and corporations’ bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, people with disabilities, women and LGBTQ+ people. To develop transformative solutions, these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grant Writing (50%)
The grant writer works in close collaboration with campaign staff to develop compelling cases of support in the form of inquiry letters, proposals, grant reports and other narratives that are tailored to the audience and are finalized and approved in advance of all deadlines. Regular interviews with senior-level, international campaign staff will be required to ensure you are telling the most current and persuasive narratives for external audiences.
Prospect Research (50%)
This position will lead the generation of a steady pipeline of new prospects to support a wide range of international campaigns. The ideal candidate possesses the ability to think creatively and analytically in identifying and qualifying prospective funders. Additionally, this position will prepare detailed funder briefings for senior staff in advance of meetings with foundations and individual donors.
This is a full-time exempt position with excellent benefits reporting to the Associate Director of Institutional Giving. Salary will be commensurate with experience and location, and will likely be within the range of $45,000 to $65,000 USD or $64,000 to $76,000 CAD.
This role will be based in the Pacific or Mountain time zone (working hours are 9am-5pm Pacific time). The role will be remote from the comfort of the candidate's own home. Once the threat of the COVID-19 pandemic has passed, there may also be the option to work out of one of our hub offices.
● Work in close collaboration with Stand’s institutional giving and campaign teams to develop approved narrative content.
● Conduct interviews with campaign staff and executive team members (as necessary) to update and create new content related to organization-wide and campaign-specific activities.
● Update boilerplates (i.e. executive summaries, organization history, theories of change, etc) for use by development staff.
● Track campaign developments and newsworthy events and articles that are relevant to work of grants team
● Conduct prospect research to identify and qualify new funders for the institutional giving team
● Produce reports on prospective funders based on a combination of data from Salesforce, iWave, Foundation Directory Online, and internet research.
● Produce detailed meeting briefings on funders to support solicitor meetings with foundations and individual donors
● Minimum of 5 years of professional grant writing experience and 2 years of prospect research experience
● Superb writing skills
● Acute attention to detail
● Strong interpersonal skills
● Proficiency with databases
● Ability to digest new information quickly and think critically about what information is needed to craft compelling cases for support.
● Ability to think creatively about how to find new sources of support by marketing campaigns in new ways to a variety of funders
● Ability to analyze and synthesize data in a succinct format
● Excellent project management, follow-through, and time management skills
● Adaptability and flexibility in shifting gears to address time sensitive projects
● Enthusiasm and passion for Stand.earth’s mission
● Thrives in a rapid response environment and enjoys working with a dynamic team
● Independent and self-motivated with a desire to provide support to advance Stand’s mission
● Committed to the values of equity, authentic communication and collaboration
● Sense of humor a plus!
Stand.earth is hiring a full-time Grant Writer/Researcher to develop compelling content and conduct prospect research for an active portfolio of 100+ international foundations, which include some of the largest and most influential…
Please send a 1-page cover letter, sample grant proposal, sample grant report, sample letter of inquiry, and resume to email@example.com with your name in the subject line and on each attachment. In your cover letter, tell us what’s motivating you to apply, what skills or expertise you have that will be most important in this role, and where you might be challenged. Please also make sure to let us know how you heard about this position. The recruitment and interview process includes a time-bound anonymous skills assessment and two rounds of interviews. No phone calls, please. Only those who will be interviewed will be contacted.
Please send a 1-page cover letter, sample grant proposal, sample grant report, sample letter of inquiry, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name in the subject line and…