Who we are
D-tree International is a mission-driven digital health organization committed to transforming health systems and improving health outcomes in low and middle income countries by integrating digital technology solutions into health systems in innovative and effective ways. D-tree takes a systems thinking approach, using public health expertise coupled with a deep understanding of technology, to support partners to design, develop and implement programs that strengthen health systems and improve program efficiency and save lives. Our work is diverse, ranging from developing tools to support the government to engage with the private sector in Liberia, to an emergency referral system providing life-saving emergency transport to women and babies in Tanzania. We have worked in 16 countries with a variety of partners with funding from private foundations, the US Government, multilaterals and other governments.
Who you are
A full time position based in the Boston area to support grants management, standardization of administration and compliance across a diverse set of funders. This is a dynamic and challenging role requiring an individual with exceptional attention to detail, initiative and passion for international development.
You are a professional, motivated, and a self-directed team player. You are someone who is just as comfortable traveling to D-tree country offices in East Africa to conduct trainings as you are sitting in a conference room in Boston representing D-tree to auditors. You function well in situations with ambiguity and are able to make decisions with partial information and push to deliver high quality work within deadlines.
What you will do
You will be an integral member of the expanding D-tree global operations team, supporting project managers and admin staff for our work globally. You will oversee the compliance of multiple post-award grants and contracts and support our field teams to follow D-tree policies and procedures and develop tracking systems to maintain a diverse portfolio of funders and their terms and conditions. You will take a leading role on developing and expanding the standardization of D-tree processes and capacity building tools to support our growth.
Key Responsibilities include:
Pre- Award / Proposal Support
- Support a small team in monitoring and upcoming funding opportunities
- Assist review proposal guidelines ensuring D-tree can comply with financial and other compliance requirements
- Create enhanced templates and opportunity tracking mechanisms
- Review budget proposals, budget notes and proposal to make sure all elements are in sync
Grant / Contract Administration (post-award)
- Review draft contracts and grant agreements and modifications to ensure D-tree can adhere to donor regulations as well as confirm D-tree programmatic and financial interests are considered and represented in such agreements
- Provide guidance to staff regarding awarded terms and conditions and donor regulations (ie – create summary of terms and flag relevant topics / deadlines for various departments)
- Draft agreements with vendors, clients, contractors and sub-awardees ensuring relevant flow down clauses are included
- With finance team, prepare and/or review financial reports to meet funding agency requirements
- Identify and keep track of all applicable laws, regulations and provisions of each grant and contract (prime and sub)
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with donors and partners
- Maintain close collaboration between finance, field offices and programmatic teams to ensure compliance coordination
- Develop organizational grants management system and controls for maintaining compliance with all applicable organizational policies and procedures, U.S. and foreign laws and regulations, and donor rules and regulations
- Develop guidelines, procedures, standards, work processes, manuals, and methodologies for a successful and comprehensive grant management systems
· Support efforts to enhance budget management tools, systems, and infrastructure to support D-tree’s growth
- Stay abreast of legal, regulatory, policy, and industry trends and emerging issues related to D-tree’s work
- Assist assess and communicate the benefits and risks of adopting new grant policies, procedures, systems or technologies
- Provide training and support to D-tree field teams on compliance with D-tree and donor policy and procedures
What we are looking for
We are looking for a motivated, passionate individual who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to help our organization be successful. The following attributes are a general overview, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the details below if you have the right skillset and attitude.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred (business management, public administration or related field)
- At least three years of experience in non-profit finance, grants/contracts operations, administrative management with significant level of responsibility
- Familiarity and working knowledge of US Federal grant and contract regulations, international activities/ issues relevant to D-tree’s operations
- Excellent attention to detail (ability to pay attention to small details and focus on quality and consistency while also understanding the big picture)
- Excellent organizational skills and persistent follow through on tasks (both your own and tasks pending from colleagues)
- Must be able to work independently, multi-task, collaborate with a distributed team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel; knowledge of Quickbooks helpful
- Qualified to work in the US
- Desire and ability to travel internationally up to 15% of the time
- Comfortable working remotely and in a small office environment
- Experience in global non-profit administration preferred
- Accountability & Reliability - Takes ownership and responsibility for decisions, actions, and results; delivers on commitments.
- Initiative – Must display a sense of urgency to effectively and efficiently complete a varying workload in a timely manner. Can initiate actions independently, handles unexpected situations, and volunteers to assist others.
- Adaptability – Ability to adapt to change and respond to challenges positively. Able to manage a variety of different tasks as needed for the position. Can develop and / or learn new processes/systems quickly, and embraces the challenge of unfamiliar tasks.
- Problem Solving – Ability to proactively identify issues and take action by analyzing all the information skillfully to persistently purse positive outcomes. Uses sound judgment about when to take action and when to seek guidance.
- Compliance & Quality – Must ensure accuracy, meet established deadlines of work, produce a quality product and show commitment to continuous improvement efforts. Ability to learn, interpret, and comply with all organization policies and procedures.
- Collaborative - Brings a track record of working effectively with various and diverse individuals and groups, and a willingness to actively listen and invite different views and opinions across all levels of the institution to build alignment in support of a common goal.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org subject line: “Compliance Manager”
1. Cover letter, clearly and concisely explaining how you meet each of the required skills and experience specified
2. Your current Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume, outlining your work history
3. A work sample. Examples of what we are looking for include:
- Policy you heavily contributed to writing
- Manual you had a large role in developing
- Grants management tracking system you developed (if not part of larger software platform)
- Template you developed to contribute to efficiency in current or prior role (such as a budget template)