Director of Trailblazer Praxis Prep Program
The Trailblazer Coalition seeks to hire a part-time Director of the Trailblazer Praxis Prep Program to lead the design and development of a new Praxis Prep program that would offer classes to area candidates in teacher preparation programs in order to pass the Praxis CORE and Praxis II exams.
Under the leadership and financial support of the Tennessee Educational Equity Coalition, nine teacher preparation programs (EPPs) in Middle Tennessee have come together to collectively address the issue of teacher diversity in Metro Nashville Public Schools through the creation of an advocacy organization, The Trailblazer Coalition. The Trailblazer Coalition recognizes that in order for MNPS to recruit and retain more teachers of color there must be a more diverse pipeline of teacher candidates and that EPPs have a unique role to play in the development of this pipeline. The Trailblazer Coalition believes that the systemic issues that have to lead to the lack of teacher diversity cannot be solved by any one player alone and that solving the broken pipeline will require everyone to play a role and to work together in new, collaborative ways.
The Trailblazer Coalition spent its first year of work studying the barriers that prevent people of color in Nashville from choosing education as a career path. Now in its second year, the Trailblazer Coalition is focusing its work on reducing those barriers through advocacy, collective action and implementation of practical solutions. For more information please visit our website: http://tnedequity.org/trailblazer-coalition/
Project & Position Information
Our research identified a number of obstacles that prevent candidates of color from earning licensure. Among them was the challenge of passing state licensure exams, i.e. the Praxis Core and Praxis II exams. The Trailblazer Coalition intends to address this barrier by providing high-quality, low-cost classes to prepare teacher candidates across Nashville to pass these rigorous exams. You may read more about this research and our end-of-year report here: http://bit.ly/TrailblazerReport2017
The Trailblazer Coalition seeks a Director of PRAXIS prep to lead our efforts.
The responsibilities for this position include:
- Recruiting teacher candidates to participate in PRAXIS prep program
- Facilitating PRAXIS prep workshops
- Recruiting and managing volunteer tutors to provide 1-on-1 instruction
- Working with TBC Steering Committee to incorporate ideas and resources and update on progress.
- Determining location and timing of classes.
- Hiring and supervising volunteer tutors.
- Creating systems of data management to help candidates track their progress.
- Working with online partners to develop curricular scopes and sequences that prepare candidates for the test.
- Creating an evaluation plan to determine impact of program or partner with a researcher to design a high-quality assessment.
- Working on long-term sustainability and funding options including grant writing and working with local funders.
An ideal candidate for this position will have the following qualifications:
- Five years experience in education.
- Experience developing curriculum by backwards mapping from identified skills and competencies.
- Familiarity with the state licensure exams and test preparation strategies.
- Experience successfully leading projects.
- Entrepreneurial skills and spirit, including organization, creativity, and innovation.
- Commitment to social justice in education, including the diversification of our teaching workforce
- Candidates of color strongly encouraged to apply.
For the 2018-19 grant year, this part-time position will work on a contract basis at a rate of $30/hour, for approximately ten hours/week, from August until May.
This position will work remotely, and will only attend meetings as needed with the Steering Committee.
This position reports to Trailblazer Coalition Steering Committee.
No phone or in-person inquiries please.
Minimum Education Required