Details: commensurate with experience, with competitive benefits package
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for advancing the mission and identity of the National Network of Abortion Funds (NNAF) by assisting in planning exciting and thoughtful campaigns, creating dynamic written content, and maintaining the quality of materials NNAF creates, both within and across departments. In this this role, you’ll help build NNAF’s brand and language within the network, schedule and report on social media content, develop written campaign plans, document and assist in the creation of written grant materials, as well as determine sources for content both internally and externally. Beyond polishing content, your attention will also ensure quality and consistency of tone in order for all written material to advance the mission and vision of the organization. You will also assist in creating and implementing campaign and marketing ideas and creating plans in collaboration with other Communications staff. By supporting the day to day work of other Communications and Technology staff, you make the work of Communications more streamlined, measurable, and possible.
Supervised by: Senior Communications Manager
Status: The position is Full-time, non-exempt, salaried.
Compensation: $50,000 - $55,000, commensurate with experience, with competitive benefits package
Digital Content Management (approximately 30% of the position):
- Schedule social media for planned campaign content and requests from allied organizations.
- Maintain social media activity at highest level of quality and appropriate timing when the case that the Communications Manager is not available.
- Post new content on website such as blog posts and jobs and facilitate staff sharing through their personal networks. Create outlines for monthly campaign plans and assist in editing campaign plans for sharing.
- Create campaign plans, draft text, and organize work plan for campaign plans in coordination with coworkers.
- Assist in distributing campaign plans and providing technical assistance for campaign implementation network members through timely communication via email.
- Monitor social media during assigned time blocks and manage online community for opposition comments.
- Maintain and update social media accounts, include business and advertising accounts.
Reporting and Archiving (25%):
- Manage vendor relationship with social media tool (Meltwater), including adding contact information to media lists when new reporters contact us
- Create monthly social media and earned media analytic reports by assigned deadline.
- Create campaign reports within one week after campaign is complete for submission.
- Archive press and other media related to abortion funds on monthly basis
- Maintain files through archival structure and organization within agreed upon cloud storage tools.
Writing and editing (15%):
- Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal, then prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability.
- Serve as an exemplary writer and editor, consistent with our organization’s tone and mission by writing clean, concise, well-polished first draft copy for purposes of earned and social media
- Organize material and complete writing assignment according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Maintain records and files of work and revisions.
- Maintain written guidelines and language style, format content, and line edit in content produced by teammates. Edit, standardize, or make changes to material prepared by other writers or establishment personnel.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
Support annual Bowl-a-Thon event (15%):
- Assist in setting up Bowl-a-Thon peer-to-peer fundraising pages and respond to basic assistance requests from participants
- Prepare presentations and schedule webinars and calls with abortion funds participating in Bowl-a-Thon
- Support Senior Communications Manager in work planning, scheduling, logistics, budget management, and other associated tasks
Maintain online store and support merchandising efforts (5%):
- Maintain spreadsheets of sales and update budget numbers
- Create and implement plan for consistent online marketing on social media
- Communicate across departments to handle incoming merchandise requests
Promote team collaboration, timeliness, values, and work planning (5%):
- Assist in scheduling and creating agenda documents for Communications team members.
- Use Slack to regularly update team about availability, work, and status.
- Use Trello or organization-wide tool for weekly and daily work planning.
- Participate in committees and groups across department.
Other (approximately 5% of the position):
- Actively participate in required convenings, summits, retreats, and staff meetings, and participate in required virtual staff communications.
- Protect the organization by keeping information confidential.
- Update professional knowledge by participating in educational opportunities approved by NNAF, maintaining networks, and participating in professional organizations as relevant to your role.
- Perform duties required of all staff to support smooth internal operations such as submitting timely expense reports, reimbursement requests, and timesheets.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Ability to travel as job requires, approximately five times minimum per year. Travel will primarily be overnight, for approximately 2-5 days, and national. Occasional international travel may be required.Regardless of where employee lives, and barring travel delays outside of an individual’s control, employee must be able to arrive at destination on-time.
Job Experience Requirements
- 2 - 4 years relevant work experience
- Social media savvy and ability to draft compelling copy that encourages engagement.
- Strong desire to collaborate cross-departmentally.
- Excellent attention to detail both for line editing copy and consistency in style and tone across our content.
- Knowledge of media production, communication, social media, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Proficient in Google Calendar and Drive, Microsoft Word and Excel, and open to learning new technologies and software as needed.
- Experience with presentation platforms and software and/or graphic design software
- Committed to abortion access and full reproductive health care for all.
- Committed to an intersectional framework that includes but is not limited to gender, economic, and racial justice.
- Ability to enjoy collaboration and be a part of a dynamic, highly productive and integrated team; maintain flexibility and effectively manage ambiguity in a responsive work environment.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, creative, and able to work without significant day-to-day supervision.
- Open to giving and receiving feedback and committed to practicing this regularly.
- Belief in bucking the trend through progressive policies to create a new vision for our future.
- Appreciation of working with diverse staff and board in an organization committed to racial justice.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with different abilities to perform the essential functions.
- Depending on location, a combination of in-office and virtual office at this time. Must be able to participate in online virtual communications including email, video conferencing, and other online tools used to facilitate virtual office culture and work sharing.
- This position is full time, with employee’s regular full time schedule to be approved by supervisor. Regular hours must include attendance during core business hours from 12:00pm – 5:00pm Eastern Time, Monday through Friday. Occasional work on evenings and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to conduct business in English; however, fluency in languages other than English is a plus.
- Smoke- and drug (illegal or recreational)-free environment.
- Some work at off-site locations may be required; NNAF aims for accessibility in any off-site location that we have control of, but some of them may not be fully accessible.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and scanners. Employee is regularly required to talk, hear, see, and communicate effectively via computer.
- This role requires frequent sitting.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Click the following link and upload your resume and cover letter. If you have any questions or trouble with the application process, send a message to jobs [at] abortionfunds.org.
NNAF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual based on any non-merit factor, and is committed to an equitable workplace where everyone is treated as a respected and valued member of the team. In fact, NNAF actively seeks to build and maintain a diverse staff with regard to race, culture, ethnicity, class, religion, physical ability, age, gender, and sexual orientation. As an organization working in solidarity with the reproductive justice movement, NNAF is committed to fostering the leadership and elevating the voices of women, young people, people of color, Native people, immigrant and refugees, low-income people, LGBQ+, and transgender, gender non-conforming, and non-binary people, people who have had abortions, people with disabilities, young parents, people who were formerly imprisoned, people who have received funding for abortions, and people living in the many intersections of these experiences. We encourage people from these communities to apply.