Details: Commensurate with experience
Strategies for Youth (SFY), is a national nonprofit organization committed to improving police/youth interactions and reducing disproportionate minority contact. SFY has four strategies for achieving these goals: training law enforcement officers, providing educational programming for youth, policy development for law enforcement agencies, as well as research and reporting on structural factors that impede progress.
SFY is seeking a Staff Attorney who is a dynamic, independent, collaborative, experienced attorney who will lead SFY's Juvenile Justice Jeopardy™ program, provide legal research, support and advice on all legal topics involving the provision of police training, and coordinate youth program services.
Coordinate the development and provision of SFY’s Juvenile Justice Jeopardy™ game, including:
- Work with juvenile justice system stakeholders to develop game questions/answers.
- Track relevant caselaw changes and statutory changes where SFY offers games.
- Train clients to become JJJeopardy™ game leaders.
- Track relevant U.S. Supreme Court law on juvenile justice issues and integrate with police training curriculum.
- Develop and research text for Think About It First! cards.
- Assist in research and development of law curriculum components for the Policing the Teen Brain™ police trainings.
- Provide legal support, including research and review, for the development of SFY’s advocacy positions.
Education and experience:
Licensed member of a State Bar in good standing.
Experience with juvenile justice defense is preferred.
Demonstrable project management experience.
Teaching background is a plus.
Skills and requirements:
- Excellent oral, written, and client-service skills.
- Knowledge of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Able to effectively interact with youth, youth service organization staff, law enforcement officers, community members, coworkers, and prospective clients.
- Prepare and track impact data.
- Able to work under pressure while managing multiple tasks in a fast-paced team-oriented environment.
- Able to travel.
- Bilingual language skills are a plus.
Starting salary is competitive with other nonprofits. SFY is strongly committed to diversity and encourages applications from people who can contribute to our organization’s diversity.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via mail or email no later than October 15, 2018 to:
Colleen Walker, Program Coordinator
Strategies for Youth
PO Box 390174
Cambridge, MA 02139
email@example.com (please reference Staff Attorney-JJJ in the subject heading).
Health, dental and vision insurance are available.
We offer retirement benefits with matching contributions.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in English. Spanish proficiency would be a plus.
Minimum Education Required