For 40 years, the Lussier Community Education Center (formerly the Wexford Ridge Neighborhood Center) has drawn in children, youth, adults and elders from all walks of life to take care of one another and create a more just, healthy and vibrant community. Each year the LCEC’s 12,000-square-foot green-built structure welcomes thousands of people and hundreds of activities to build community, create opportunities and enrich education.
The LCEC’s comprehensive, state-licensed elementary afterschool and summer camp programs engage children from grades K-5 in classrooms at our facility at and John Muir Elementary School. Elementary Program staff emphasize positive youth development and a trauma informed mindset in working with our group of young people of color. We partner with a wide variety of community organizations to offer dynamic, engaging activities for academic support, arts/creativity, health/fitness, and community service.
The Elementary Program Coordinator is both a classroom lead teacher and the offsite supervisor at John Muir Elementary School. This Coordinator interfaces with parents, school staff, and partner organizations and manages administrative aspects of the LCEC’s Elementary Program. The ideal candidate will be a detail oriented, dynamic leader of children’s programming and have experience creating and running culturally relevant and enriching experiences. This position reports to the Elementary Program Manager.
HOURS: Full time, 10am-6pm during the school year and 8:30am-4:30pm in summer
COMPENSATION: $36,000 plus health and disability benefits and paid time off
Classroom management and teaching
· Serve as site supervisor and lead teacher for our offsite classroom at Muir Elementary School.
· Plan, prepare, implement, and evaluate activities for elementary school age youth.
· Ensure the safety of participants by providing adequate supervision of all elementary youth.
· Lead the set-up, cleanup, and organization of rooms and activity centers for program each day.
· Create and maintain a welcoming and supportive classroom environment. Rotate activity center materials regularly.
· Guide desired youth behavior using the Lussier Community Circle, LCEC policies, and licensing regulations.
· Be sensitive to issues students face, and work with the team to identify needs and solutions for situations as they arise.
· Prepare and serve nutritious snacks and meals; lead youth in clean up.
Family and community partner engagement
· Develop strong positive relationships with youth and their families.
· Help create and distribute program materials to families, including monthly newsletters, notices of program activities/events, and registration forms. Promote all LCEC events with youth and families.
· Support regular communication with parents and caregivers about needs and progress of program participants. Identify and address issues with parents and create support plans.
· Lead cooperative work with community partners and volunteers to facilitate activities and special events.
· Actively engage and manage volunteers and interns with an eye toward retention. Participate in volunteer recruitment as needed.
Coordination and program administration
· Coordinate afterschool and summer program enrollment. Support families in completing required registration materials.
· Assist with meal planning, preparation, and reporting (particularly for CACFP).
· Monitor daily attendance, follow tracking procedures, and maintain weekly records.
· Ensure that LCEC policies and state licensing regulations are followed every day. Assist with regular licensing and other compliance reporting.
· Participate in regularly scheduled staff and check in meetings.
· Acquire and document 25 hours of professional development each year as required by state licensing.
Participate in the shared work of the LCEC, including neighborhood events, staff retreats/meetings, and other projects as they arise.
· Experience working as Lead Teacher in a Wisconsin licensed child care program, or equivalent.
· Familiarity with State Day Care Licensing Rules and Regulations and City of Madison Accreditation Guidelines.
· Knowledge of and experience with behavior guidance and conflict resolution language and techniques.
· Mature attitude, creativity, resourcefulness, and a positive role model for youth.
· Understanding and appreciation of racially/ethnically diverse populations.
· Valid driver’s license and at least three years’ driving experience.
· Excellent communication skills.
Download the application at LCECmadison.org or pick it up at the Lussier Community Education Center, 55 S Gammon Rd, Madison. Cover letter and resume sent without an application may prompt consideration, but a completed application will be required before hire. Submit completed application via email to jobs@LCECmadison.org or by mail.
Applications will be accepted until this position is filled. LCEC is an EOE/AA employer.
For 40 years, the Lussier Community Education Center (formerly the Wexford Ridge Neighborhood Center) has drawn in children, youth, adults and elders from all walks of life to take care of one another and create a more just, healthy and…
Paid time off, health insurance, disability benefits
Paid time off, health insurance, disability benefits