Details: CEF offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, and excellent benefits. Remote employment will be considered.
1560 Wilson Blvd
The Chemical Educational Foundation is a national nonprofit dedicated to inspiring K-8 students to pursue science related education and careers through our You Be The Chemist programs.
You Be The Chemist leverages the ingenuity of the chemistry industry to engage students, teachers and communities. Signature programs include: a national academic competition that connects businesses with local communities; activity guides that volunteers use to engage students in STEM; and educator professional development to raise the capacity to teach science.
The role of the Outreach and Engagement Manager at CEF:
The Manager will have a pivotal position in the CEF organization:
- Working externally with on-the-ground partners and volunteers to ensure coordinated implementation of You Be The Chemist programs. This will ensure that our programs saturate targeted communities to create the most impact for energizing students towards STEM and science-related careers.
- Working internally with the CEF team to design the most effective and personalized experience in these communities, which can include helping create education materials and workshops; identifying key partners and relationships to cultivate; and helping market our programs locally and authentically.
This position reports to the You Be The Chemist Program Director, and also works with other CEF senior leadership team members and CEF staff.
A qualified candidate must have experience in K-8 education, and particularly in STEM education best practices and program delivery. Furthermore, the candidate must have experience with volunteer management - coordinating a program that relies on volunteers to implement the work. This includes the ability to lead project management; communicate essential information in a timely manner; manage and cultivate relationships; interact diplomatically with people; and execute a plan for keeping volunteers engaged and feeling appreciated.
Following are essential work skills for this position:
● Project management - anticipate needs; use software such as spreadsheets or apps to manage timelines and budgets; analyze and collect data; communicate with team members; and more
● Team management and leadership - manage other CEF team members: experience having managed/supervised staff before is a plus
● Volunteer management – establish volunteer and program implementation model using appropriate tone and team-building efforts to keep volunteers engaged and committed
● Strong communications abilities - identify different audiences receiving information; write concisely and accurately; and write for different platforms (external funding proposals and grants, proposal outreach communications, training materials, email communications, and more) effectively use social media, webinars, etc. to transmit information and engage target audiences
● Flexibility - see the big picture of the You Be The Chemist program and CEF’s goals, and be able to change course as new opportunities are identified
● Attention to detail - contribute high-quality work products and effort
● Network development - build connections among members of the education and STEM field to streamline efforts to reach more students
● Event planning - in addition to project management skills, adeptly organize and execute meeting planning: may involve overseeing third party event and logistics contractors
● Have a growth-mindset - be willing to accept feedback and grow as an individual and a team member; have a positive mindset towards the array of opportunities ahead
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
● Bachelor’s required and Master’s preferred in STEM-related education
● At least 5 years of work experience required; prefer combination of experience with K-8 classroom or community-based STEM education, volunteer management, and/or grant and proposal development.
For immediate consideration, please send all the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: resume, cover letter including salary requirements, and three (3) relevant writing samples. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Located in Arlington, VA near Metro. Remote employment will be considered. CEF offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, and excellent benefits. Remote employment will be considered.