310 Eighth Street
1. Organizational Overview
In youth sports, a well-trained, caring coach can make all the difference, helping kids translate skills learned on the playing field — persistence, teamwork, leadership and empathy — into success in school and beyond.
In poverty-stricken communities, there are kids who want to play sports, but too often the key ingredient is missing – a qualified, well-trained coach to fill that vital mentor role. Having a strong role model can have an outsized impact on kids facing the daily stresses of poverty, from higher rates of exposure to domestic violence and crime to skipping meals because often, families are forced to choose between putting food on the table and paying the rent.
Coaching Corps is fueling a movement of skilled coaches to give kids in these communities the sports mentors they want and deserve. By partnering with more than 200 afterschool programs across the country, we’re providing more than 100,000 underprivileged kids a year with the opportunity to play sports under the guidance of a caring, well-trained coach.
2. Position Overview
The Alumni Outreach Coordinator will have the opportunity to create a brand new “Alumni Association” of former Coaching Corps coaches who want to stay involved and make a difference in the lives of young people.
Based in Coaching Corps’ Oakland, CA headquarters, it is a half-time position, without benefits.
Hundreds of people across the country have now “graduated” from Coaching Corps program. And while they may not be actively coaching youth in low-income communities, they remain passionate about the mission and excited to find ways to continue to make an impact in the lives of young people living in poverty-stricken communities. To respond to the outpouring of interest from our alumni, Coaching Corps is creating the Alumni Outreach Coordinator position.
3. Key Responsibilities/Duties
● Creating an alumni outreach and engagement program. Connecting with alumni across the country and finding ways to connect them with Coaching Corps, as well as with other alumni in their region.
● Event coordination. Working with staff and alumni to plan, coordinate and execute local alumni gatherings in cities across the country.
● Online engagement. Creating online tools - from web pages to social media tools - to encourage and facilitate online community building to connect alumni.
● Database management. Creating and managing a central database of alumni.
● Internal team engagement. Working with members of Coaching Corps’ marketing and communications, program, and development teams to integrate alumni whenever appropriate.
This is a new role and a new position at Coaching Corps. As a result, the ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit and demonstrated ability to build programs and initiatives from scratch. The ideal candidate will also have a demonstrated ability to build, organize and cultivate community - primarily online community, but also in person. Finally, the ideal candidate will have a passion for social change and working to support youth in low income communities living with the daily stressors of poverty. Other key qualifications include:
● Bachelor’s degree with 2+ years of experience related to the key responsibilities specified.
● Desire to be creative in both developing concepts and in maximizing resources to achieve results.
● Experience demonstrates strong writing and presentation skills.
● Motivated self-starter who possesses strong project and time management skills.
● Experience working with communications systems including email marketing platforms
● (Marketo, Marketing Cloud, etc.), website content management systems, and social media platforms required.
● Knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media.
● Ability to interact with employees and vendors in a professional manner.
● Eager to work in a dynamic environment.
● Strong interest in sports-based youth development and coaching/mentoring.
● Experience working in the non-profit or sports-based youth development industries a plus but not required.
This a half-time position, without benefits
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with Alumni Outreach Coordinator in the subject line.
Coaching Corps is proud of its family-friendly, healthy, and engaging work environment.
We strongly encourage Coaching Corps alumni to apply!
Coaching Corps is an equal opportunity employer that values the diversity of its staff, partners and constituents.