908 Wahler Place, SE
What You Will Do
The Dean of Scholars works closely with the Assistant Principal of Culture (APC) and the School Counselor to help proactively shape and lead our school culture to ensure our scholars and teachers continue their growth and development. The Dean will manage our discipline system, including directly working with scholars, running professional development for staff regarding our behavior practices, and monitoring consistency across the school. We are seeking candidates who are passionate about working directly with scholars and teachers to maximize their potential.
Reporting to the Assistant Principal of Culture and supporting all staff and scholars:
- Serve as direct point of contact for all staff managing school-wide systems for incentives and consequences
- Ensure that the physical environment of the school reinforces school culture and facilitates scholar achievement
- Be highly present and visible, proactively circulating throughout classrooms and public spaces during the day to gain valuable context on scholar behavior and relentlessly ensuring a positive school environment
- Supervise arrival, lunch, recess, assemblies, dismissal, and other transition times – making sure scholars are always where they are supposed to be and ensuring a professional school culture at these times
- Maintain a school culture centered on our ethos and core values of Determination,Respect, Enthusiasm, Accountability, and Mastery
- Exhibit an unwavering commitment to high academic achievement and character development in our scholars
- Receive continuous feedback from peers and leaders on your practice and be expected to give the same
- Communicate frequently with families of scholars around culture and socio-emotional issues to report progress and, as necessary, strategize around supports
- Coordinate and conduct meetings (including re-entry) with families and scholars, as needed
- Proactively reach out to families regarding attendance concerns (both absences and tardies)
- Conduct home visits, as needed
- Assist teachers, scholars, and parents in the effective creation and implementation of individual behavior plans
- Coordinate the process of creating and distributing all scholar “paychecks” and other behavior reports to scholars and families
- Keep current with successful discipline methodologies and practices
- Plan and coordinate family and community events (including monthly evening events)
- Keep accurate scholar discipline records, documenting all progress toward intervention goals, parent conferences, suspensions, and phone calls for behavior
- Manage time, tasks, deadlines and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment; support and hold others accountable for the same
Be willing to take on additional responsibilities as necessary to fulfill Achievement Prep’s mission for our scholars
You Must Have
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2+ years of experience working with children in an urban setting from historically underserved communities
- Ability to regularly be one of the first to arrive and last to leave the building daily (staff hours: 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM)
It Would Be Nice for You to Have
- Master’s degree in social work, education, educational leadership, or counseling
- 2+ years working in an urban school
Who You Are
You know and understand the power of education and have seen, first hand, that power manifested either in your life or in the lives of others. You are committed to serving historically underserved communities knowing that your work is part of a larger ecosystem committed to change. You believe in a quality public education for all and are determined to serve every child that comes your way. You are unapologetically mission driven and will do whatever it takes to advance the work and ensure scholar achievement. You are excited about not just the work, but doing the work at Achievement Prep. You are familiar with our community and are not afraid of or by all the beauty and challenges that come with living in impoverished communities. You value and respect everyone and demonstrate that respect in words and actions.
You know while there are no excuses in this work, the scholars we serve require a leader who will differentiate for all yet keep excellence the bar that is maintained at all times. You understand your effectiveness and performance is directly tied to a strong, joyous, safe and productive school culture. You know culture and instruction are inextricably linked, with the establishment of a strong culture taking precedence in order to promote an environment that is 100% conducive to learning. You are open to feedback, eager to grow, and bring your best to everything you do. You know the work isn’t easy and don’t expect for it to be. The grind of our mission ignites you. You are not only capable of performing but thrive in circumstances involving ambiguity and nuance. You look for or create the joy in your day-to-day and want to work with others who do, too.
What We Value
- 100% Scholars: You prioritize what’s best for scholars first.
- Results Without Excuses: You set, track and achieve ambitious goals; and you own the mistakes.
- Sweat the Small Stuff: You pay attention to the smallest details to ensure smooth, predictable, and effective outcomes.
- Community Matters – Mightily: You show care and respect for others – even when the work is taxing.
- Unapologetically Mission-Driven: You have a “whatever it takes” mentality in achieving the mission.
- Many Minds, One Mission: You value and partner with parents and the community for the good of scholars.
What You Get
- Ongoing weekly or bi-weekly coaching and development from principal
- Regular coaching from network-based leadership
- Opportunities to participate in external professional development that increases effectiveness in the role
- Compensation & Benefits:
- Achievement Prep offers highly competitive compensation and benefits
- Medical, vision, dental benefits
- Flexible spending accounts for transit, dependent care, and medical expenses
- 401k with automatic immediate employer matching up to 4% of salary
- It Pays to Stay:
- Upon completion of 2 full school years of service, employees become eligible for annual loyalty incentives
- Gifts and Achievement Prep swag
Minimum Education Required