45 West 36th Street
Overview of AJWS:
Inspired by the Jewish commitment to justice, American Jewish World Service (AJWS) works to realize human rights and end poverty in the developing world. AJWS promotes civil and political rights; advances sexual health and rights; defends land, water and climate justice; and aids communities in the aftermath of disasters. AJWS pursues lasting change by supporting grassroots and global human rights organizations in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean and by mobilizing supporters in the U.S. to advocate for global justice. Working together, the AJWS community strives to build a more just and equitable world.
Founded in 1985, AJWS is the first and only American Jewish organization dedicated solely to alleviating poverty, hunger and disease in the developing world. Since its founding, AJWS has supported more than a thousand grassroots social change organizations and has granted $360 million to support human rights. Today AJWS has a budget of more than $50M. There are over 100 U.S.-based employees located in five offices (New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Washington, D.C.), and over 25 country representatives in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. The organization has more than 190,000 supporters across the U.S. and around the world.
About the Position:
AJWS is seeking a dynamic and experienced development operations professional to lead the overall strategic direction of AJWS’s development operations department. Reporting to the Vice President for Development, the Director of Development Operations is responsible for overseeing all aspects of development-focused database systems, data analysis and modeling, donor and gift-related data processing, fundraising research, and varied internal and external reporting activities. The Director of Development operations is responsible for implementing and overseeing strategies and processes that maximize the department’s effectiveness, efficiencies and overall workflow. The Director of Development Operations must have extensive experience in system implementation and integration. Overseeing a team of 4, the Director of Development Operations will strategically lead and evaluate the functionality of the CRM database, technology and data processing systems. The Director of Development Operations will work closely and collaboratively with key stakeholders, including all AJWS US offices, to ensure data modeling and workflow needs are met.
Key Responsibilities Include, but are not limited to:
· Responsible for the oversight, management and strategic direction of all development operations activities within the department and across the organization;
· Responsible for the management and maintenance The Raiser's Edge database to ensure that information is current and accurate;
· Responsible for the oversight and direction of systems and procedures for effective research and prospect development activities;
· Oversee data flow from the donor database to the financial system to ensure revenue reconciliation and the timely, accurate generation of fundraising progress reports and ensures that AJWS is in compliance with all applicable local, state and national laws, rules and regulations in all US and international offices;
· Oversees team processing of over 300,000 transactions annually and all related operational activities, including donor acknowledgement, database management and data synchronization, ensuring that work is carried out in a timely and high-quality manner;
· Responsible for effectively cross-training all employees within the department on internal reporting systems and workflows;
· Responsible for working closely with the Vice President of Development to ensure strategic and effective collaboration with all fundraising teams within the division;
· Collaborates with the Finance, Communications and IT teams to ensure integration with finance systems and adherence to relevant protocols;
· Stay abreast of philanthropic, economic, social, and community trends related to American Jewish World Service and share relevant information with colleagues.
· Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree and record of continuing professional development is preferred;
· 8-10 years of development operations oversight or related technical team management experience required;
· Background in running business operations and knowledge of business process and procedure required;
· Proven track record of driving organizational change and transformation through influence, supervision of and collaboration with key staff members;
· Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or donor CRM system required;
· Experience working with Salesforce is required;
· Experience in migrating large amounts of data to a cloud based system required;
· Strong analytical, problem-solving and project management skills;
· Ability to exercise sound judgement and work effectively with personnel at all levels;
· Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise a high level of discretion in handling sensitive situations;
· Strong commitment to AJWS’s mission and core values.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered. Please put your name in the title of both documents.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.