The Corporate Controller is the subject matter expert in accounting and reporting matters. This position directs the daily operations of the Corporate Controller’s Group including Financial Reporting, Annual Audit of consolidated Trinity Group and subsidiaries, General Accounting, and Income Tax matters relating to Trinity Church and its subsidiaries (St. Margaret’s House and CDSP). Participate in strategic planning and critical decision-making as counsel to CFO.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Direct the preparation of internal monthly financial statements and reports and provide supporting interpretation and analysis. All subsidiaries are consolidated on a quarterly basis.
- Plan, coordinate and manage the annual audit process. Manage preparation and review of analyses, process narratives, and other ad hoc requests to support the audit process. Primary liaison with Trinity’s outside auditors and subsidiary controllers for audit matters.
- Draft footnotes and assure completeness of the consolidated annual audited financial statements.
- Design accounting systems to achieve required results and assurance of financial controls.
- Oversee the documentation of all accounting systems and procedures for optimal performance, controls and efficiency.
- Oversee accounting internal controls and provide related policies and procedure improvements.
- Provide analysis to senior management and Vestry to support financial and business decisions.
- Provide counsel to CFO and staff involved in the preparation of Parish operating and capital budgets.
- Collaborate with CFO, Treasurer, Program Finance Director, and other directors and managers in crafting multi-year financial and cash flow forecasts and Trinity Business Office strategy.
- Collaborate with Real Estate Finance Director and other Finance staff to ensure proper recording of transactions in corporate books and records.
- Be a team player and a mentor for Finance team.
- Adhere to confidentiality rules and all other Trinity Wall Street policies, procedures, and rules.
- Perform all duties in a manner that promote Trinity’s mission and core values.
- Assume other related responsibilities and special projects as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent understanding of generally accepted accounting principles with the ability to grasp new accounting pronouncements, determine the specific impact to Trinity, and communicate basis for findings to experts of the auditing firm
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical review of the audited financial statements of affiliated entities
- Excellent strategic planning and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex financial problems and develop long-term financial plans
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literate with strong Excel skills
- Strong professional, writing and interpersonal skills
REQUIRED AND PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND CREDENTIALS
- CPA required
- Minimum 10 years of experience that includes public accounting and corporate fiscal management of financial accounting and reporting areas
- Involvement with researching, documenting, and implementing US generally accepted accounting principles
- Proven ability to manage, delegate and promote a spirit of teamwork and collaboration among staff while also being able to prepare original work product
- Real Estate exposure a plus