Long Island City
ABOUT BRIDGING EDUCATION & ART TOGETHER
At Bridging Education & Art Together (BEAT Global), our mission is to transform the lives of youth by empowering artists to build community through creative self-expression rooted in advancing Hip Hop culture. For more information on our programs, services, and curricula, please visit www.beatglobal.org.
BEAT is currently seeking a SLP with a strong technical background and experience working with youth to serve as a consultant for an estimated 10 hours per week for the length of 3 months with potential to expand. The SLP consultant should be enthusiastic, committed and have a philosophy that aligns with our mission. The SLP will work specifically with our BEAT Rockers Program, started in 2010 at the Lavelle School for the Blind, Beat Rockers is a music and self-expression program that uses beatboxing as the central tool for creation. We have seen incredible impact and personal transformation when introducing beatboxing to youth with disabilities. The SLP will work alongside a team of experienced Beatboxers in creating lesson plans that feature beatboxing as a tool for speech therapy.
- Articulate and provide speech language research articles and materials
- Assist in the development, preparation and delivery of project materials and coordinates data collection
- Attend all team project meetings in office
- Coordinate, lead, and monitor training of instructors with regard to Speech Language Pathology practices
- Available to travel and observe BEAT Global workshops involving Beatboxers and occasionally students with disabilities
- Summarize and analyze evaluation responses from beatboxing instructors and students
- Develop feedback reports and communicate results from testing to the Executive Director
- Utilize practice experiences in discussions resulting in lesson plans that optimize speech and language testing protocols and tools
- Work with Executive Director to develop novel scientific questions, experiments, and assist with data analysis for presentations and lesson plans
- Prepare research materials for use in a live presentation and lesson plans by implementing Beat Rockers curriculum and speech language therapy common practices
- Provide readily access to all experimental data for the faculty researcher and/or supervisor
- Request or acquire equipment or supplies necessary
- Manage and respond to project related emails on normal business hours
- 5 Lesson Plans implementing beatboxing methodology into Speech Language Therapy
- Attend and direct live presentation for a design agency
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALITIES
- Current state license as a Speech Language Pathologist, if applicable per state requirements
- Graduate of Speech Pathologist program accredited by the American Speech and Hearing Association, and holds or is eligible for a certificate of clinical competence (CCC) granted by the American Speech and Hearing Association
- Must have excellent organizational, and oral and written communication skills.
- Minimum of one year experience in a school or private practice setting, working with young people preferred.
- Background and/or interest in working in non-profit sector, youth communities, and arts education.
- Musical background and appreciation for Hip Hop a plus, but not required.
- Positive attitude, impeccable communication, and team player a must.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If interested, please e-mail email@example.com with your resume and cover letter.