The James Beard Foundation has experienced a historic year of organizational transformation and increased philanthropic support. As the Foundation continues to evolve to be an impact-first organization, building a culture of philanthropy and a robust Development Department are critical.
The General Fundraising Coordinator is a key support role working with the Development Department, Events Department, and Chief Operating Officer. Moving forward, the greatest philanthropic opportunity for the Foundation is to further develop a robust portfolio of support through major gifts, special fundraising initiatives, fundraising events, and donor cultivation.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the General Fundraising Coordinator will provide project support for various fundraising initiatives, including the planning of cultivation events, support of silent and live auction opportunities, strategic outreach for Friends of James Beard Benefits, administrative support of JBF Greens, and the JBF Gala, and other bespoke donor stewardship initiatives.
As directed by the COO, the General Fundraising Coordinator function is to collaborate and assist with any of the below:
Fundraising Initiatives Administration
· Support the scheduling and execution of Friends of James Beard Benefits, sending fundraising materials, tracking confirmations, coordinating digital promotions on JBF channels, mailing collateral materials, preparing speaking points, and tracking gift receipts
· Partner with the Director of Fundraising Initiatives to review, edit, update and create materials to refresh the Friends of James Beard Benefit opportunity and provide a meaningful fundraising opportunity for restaurants across the country
· Support the Development Team in concepting donor events and cultivation events, liaising with venue and food and beverage vendors, drafting speaking points, and assisting with budget reconciliation
· Drive the success of silent auction initiatives by drafting solicitation materials, creating donation forms, tracking donations, drafting package writeups, uploading packages into online auction site, coordinating marketing and communications, and assisting with budget reconciliation with the Finance team
· Partner with Development Coordinator to ensure all contributions from Fundraising Initiatives are documented correctly in Salesforce
Fundraising Initiatives Research
· Conduct research to identify new fundraising opportunities on platforms such as CharityBuzz, Omaze, etc.
· Support the Events Team on the planning and execution of the annual JBF Gala, including coordination of collateral materials, outreach to chefs, solicitation and coordination of silent and live auction, event reconciliation, and auction fulfillment
· Support the Chief Operating Officer with administrative tasks such as scheduling meetings and completing expense reports
· Assist with the collection of assets and drafting content for donor communications, including digital fundraising assets, donor newsletters, invitations, fundraising brochures, campaign materials, and more
· Assist on-site at special events and donor events
· Manage technology for virtual donor events on zoom webinar
· Perform other related duties as assigned by management
The James Beard Foundation recognizes that the relevant qualifications of a successful candidate will come from a broad range of lived experiences, education, and expertise areas. As part of the James Beard Foundation’s commitment to advancing equity within our organization and through our work, we are committed to an equitable hiring process.
We believe that when our organization reflects the culinary industry and the communities we serve – including people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, women, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, etc. – that JBF is most impactful and effective. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. Desired experience of a successful candidate may include the following, but candidates will not be screened exclusively based on meeting these qualifications:
· Experience with non-profit event fundraising and auction fundraising
· Minimum of 2 years working in non-profit fundraising, marketing, or events
To be effective in this role, key core competencies and personal characteristics include:
· High energy and passion for the James Beard Foundation’s mission
· Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
· Flexible and adaptable style
· Tech-savvy, proficient in MS Office, CRM systems (preferably SalesForce), iWave, and Mail Merge functionality
· Excellent attention to detail, conscientious work ethic
· Excellent ability to multi-task, prioritize projects, and work efficiently and independently in a fast-paced environment
· Ability to deal effectively with the diversity of individuals at all organizational levels
· Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
The James Beard Foundation is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, citizenship, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
There are many benefits to a career at the James Beard Foundation. In addition to promoting a good food world through thought leadership, education, and advocacy, JBF offers its employees a dynamic work environment with benefits including medical, dental, life insurance, 403(b) retirement savings, and generous paid time off. Additional perks include Transit Check, discounted health club memberships.
This role is currently remote but will have to report to the office in NYC.
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The James Beard Foundation has experienced a historic year of organizational transformation and increased philanthropic support. As the Foundation continues to evolve to be an impact-first organization, building a culture of…