Details: Full-time, exempt position; salary based on experience and generous benefits.
83 Lockwood Ave.
Director of Grants and Public Relations at Domus Kids, Inc.
Job Overview and Requirements
We are a large Stamford CT nonprofit—and our busy development team needs help finding and winning grant funds and overseeing our public relations efforts to support our portfolio of terrific programs (including schools, community centers, and social justice projects) for low-income, high-need young people. If you are a gifted writer, careful researcher, and meticulous grammarian, we need your help. Our team is welcoming, our work is rewarding, and we set a high bar for the quality of everything we do.
The Director of Grants and Public Relations manages the grants process to seek funding from foundations, corporations, government entities, and donor-advised funds and manages relationships with the local press and media outlets to spread the word about our mission and results.
· Approximately 80% of the position will entail writing and completing grant applications and grant reports on deadline, while the remainder will include other writing projects including press releases and copy for fundraising and marketing materials.
· Supervise one part-time grant-writer, including assigning grants and reports and overseeing final product
· Help our five-person development department hit annual fundraising goals
· Research RFPs, foundations, and other new grant opportunities applicable to Domus programs and projects
· Visit Domus programs to build relationships with program staff and to write blurbs for use in grants, press releases, and other communications
· Promote good relations with local media outlets and grow a strategy to get good news out frequently
· Assist with external communications vehicles such as e-newsletters and marketing materials
· Assist with answering funder questions and hosting funder site visits
· Manage “grant tracker” list of application and report deadlines, maintain electronic and paper files of grant applications, reports, award letters, contracts, and other documents
· Assist with Gala, NINER, Golf Outing, and other special events projects as needed
· Bachelor’s degree in a writing-intensive field
· At least 5 years professional experience as a writer and researcher (grant-writing, journalism, communications, marketing, technical writing…)
· Superb storytelling skills, with clear and concise writing style, excellent grammar, and an eye for copy editing
· Impeccable oral communication skills
· A strong work ethic and team spirit
· Ability to juggle projects and meet deadlines
· Commitment to our mission and values
· Love of young people, especially young people others consider unlovable
· Able to work a few fund-raising events per year on evenings and weekends
· A great sense of humor!
Domus is an equal opportunity employer. Spanish speaking people and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Full-time, exempt position; salary based on experience and generous benefits. We believe in work-life balance, and there will be times when the balance tips to work and when the balance tips toward life.
Youth come to Domus with many challenges, including poverty, involvement in the criminal justice system, homelessness, academic failure, and untreated mental and physical health issues. Domus supports these young people to rise above adversity and become resilient, positive contributors to their communities. As a multiservice organization, we provide academic support, social-emotional skill building, and pro-social connections to help guide our youth through critical junctures in their lives so they may become resilient, positive contributors to their communities. Domus operates more than a dozen programs, including alternative charter schools, community centers, after-school programs, summer camps, vocational training, court diversion, and anti-gang street outreach. We serve more than 1,200 young people each year. We are certified by the Sanctuary Institute as a trauma-responsive agency; we are committed to serving all youth who need our help, regardless of their behavior; and we are dedicated to fighting institutional racism in our community.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
OUR HIRING PROCESS
We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. That being said, we hope to fill the position by July 31.
To apply, please send a resume and a brief letter of interest to Alison Soler, Director of Philanthropy, at email@example.com. Please:
· Briefly address what about Domus’ mission speaks to you and why you are a good fit
· Briefly address your grant writing successes and/or other experiences that are relevant to this position
· Share up to three professional writing samples of which you’re particularly proud