134 W. 26th St.
The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math. You can learn more about MoMath and its open opportunities at http://momath.org.
MoMath is seeking an enthusiastic and energetic chief of mathematics who will have primary responsibility for overseeing and creating innovative and engaging math content for the broad variety of educational programs the Museum offers. This position will help shape one of America’s major efforts in mathematical outreach to students, teachers, and the public.
This is a full-time, permanent position based in New York City. It offers a full suite of benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The chief of mathematics will create compelling original content for classes, presentations, and activities that demonstrate the beauty and joy of math. This role will translate the varied areas of mathematics into engaging programs that are accessible to diverse target audiences, including children and adults, ranging from mathematical novices to the mathematically sophisticated.
MoMath’s educational programs include (but are not limited to):
· Field trip offerings for school classes, camps, and other groups that visit the Museum
· After-school and weekend math clubs and gifted/enrichment programs
· Summer math camps and programs
· Teacher professional development
· In-museum public demonstrations and group activities
· Birthday party activities with a strong mathematical component
· Mobile museum curricula, including educational outreach to external venues such as schools, community centers, and public spaces
The chief of mathematics will at times present or lead some of these programs, while others will be presented by MoMath’s team of educators.
· Advanced study at the level of a Ph.D. in Mathematics or a closely allied field, or a near-equivalent level of experience, exposure, and mastery of a wide range of mathematical topics
· A successful track record developing curricula, activities, and/or programs illustrating the breadth, beauty, vitality, usefulness, and excitement of modern mathematics, geared to a broad public
· A love of communicating mathematical ideas at all levels of sophistication and understanding to both children and adults in an engaging, meaningful, and accessible manner
· Outstanding presentation skills
· Excellent written communication skills
· Experience in math education
Experience with writing grant applications to a variety of funding agencies is also desirable.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line that includes “Chief of Mathematics” and your name:
- A cover letter explaining how you meet the criteria;
- A current resumé, including grade point averages;
- A 150- to 500-word statement describing your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics.
- Please also include samples of, or links to, outreach or educational activities for which you have been responsible.